MIDI to sheet music

Reaction score
I'm learning to play the piano. I'm using a MIDI keyboard.

I'm looking for a simple application that transforms as gracefully as possible a MIDI file into a sheet (GarageBand does this quite ok) and then scrolls the sheet as you play.

There is a nice free application Synthesia, Piano for Everyonethat has a cheap "Learning Pack" that does just that. However, if the MIDI file is a bit more complex, the sheet gets messed up (unlike the GarageBand sheet).

Does anyone know about something like that?

Cheers,
Adrian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.26 GHz, Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
I use Logic Pro 9. And although I don't use it myself, I know it has this feature.

Also, how did you get your MIDI keyboard to interact with your Mac? I have a MIDI to USB adapter, but have not got it to work yet.

Cheers.

Fisher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP
Try Finale Notepad. Its been a while since I've used it, so I'm not sure how "gracefully" it will translate the MIDI in to notation, but they have a free trial thats worth a shot.

-SCR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'll add that, upon asking for a recommendation here on MacForums, the Finale Songwriter software was recommended to me. I downloaded the free Trial version for my mother who does keyboard for her Church. She tried it for a week and insisted that it was an absolute necessity for her volunteer work! I bought her a license and she hardly ever calls anymore (spending all her time playing with the software). I guess that's a positive endorsement.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Fisher,

I use Logic Pro 9. And although I don't use it myself, I know it has this feature.
I've been using it for a while.
I know it does MIDI to sheet conversion but I couldn't find this sheet scrolling feature...

Also, how did you get your MIDI keyboard to interact with your Mac? I have a MIDI to USB adapter, but have not got it to work yet.

My keyboard has USB out.
You could use an external (firewire or USB) audio interface with MIDI IN/OUT.

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
I've been reading about the Finale Notepad app.
I didn't find any statements on the "scroll as you play" feature.
I will give it a try though and then I'll post the result.

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.26 GHz, Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
For Logic, when you have recoded your piece, simply press N on your keyboard, this will bring up the notes feature.

And I am currently trying to purchase an interface that you described.

Cheers,

Fisher..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.