Defrag/System Check/Shutting Down Questions

C

cindy

Hi,

I just switched to a Mac a few days ago (PowerBook G4...love it!) and was just wondering if you need to defragment Macs like you do Windows-based machines. Also are there system checks you can run to make sure everything is okay? Is virus software or something like AdAware necessary for a Mac?

And finally, I'm accustomed to just putting the machine to sleep at night. Is it better to shut it off at night, or is sleep mode okay? (I would shut it off if I were going away for a few days).

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
cindy said:
Hi,

I just switched to a Mac a few days ago (PowerBook G4...love it!) and was just wondering if you need to defragment Macs like you do Windows-based machines. Also are there system checks you can run to make sure everything is okay? Is virus software or something like AdAware necessary for a Mac?

And finally, I'm accustomed to just putting the machine to sleep at night. Is it better to shut it off at night, or is sleep mode okay? (I would shut it off if I were going away for a few days).

Thanks!

OS X doesn't require defraging the way Windows machines do. However, it's a good idea to periodically run the built-in maintenance tasks and to repair the disk permissions. You can easily run the maintenance tasks using the free application Maintenance and repairing disk permissions can be done using the Disk Utility application included with OS X.

Putting the machine to sleep at night is perfectly fine, and that's what I do with both my Macs. In fact, I almost never fully shut down mine unless they won't be used for long periods of time.

I should note that if you're running Tiger, Maintenance isn't currently compatible. I couldn't tell from your post whether your machine was brand new or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
macjanitor is a nice little tool for running the scripit and works with tiger

as your comin from a M$ world you will need these website

www.google.com/mac
www.versiontracker.com/macosx

and as for virus scanning, dont bother yet there is no real need ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.