I hate my older macbook and want to buy a newer one

Reaction score
I have an older MB core 2 duo 1.8ghz 1.2mb ram.
The only thing I hate is that when I go on you tube or do anything such as play a facebook game the fans start going nuts and the bottom of the thing might as well be a hot plate. It is very annoying. I upgraded to snow leopard and that didn't help my cause either.
My wifes $299 windoze acer doesnt do that, nor did her really old clunky looking compaq from about 4 or 5 years ago do that either.
Do the newer macbooks behave that way too?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Flash, which powers YouTube and I'm guessing plays a part in that Facebook game is notoriously bad on the Mac. You can expect jumps in CPU usage when using Flash which leads to increased temps. If you're using Safari as your browser, I suggest installing ClickToFlash. Not only does this block Flash content (there are many flash content blockers for the other browsers), it allows you to play the videos with QuickTime which is much less CPU intensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
No, I'm guessing the reason you are having problems is because you are trying
to run a new version of flash on an old computer. Try downgrading to an olde vesion of flash and see if it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My old second generation Macbook behaved exactly like that. My new Macbook Pro doesn't but that's not why I got a new one. The MBP just out-sexy's the MB.

Still liked the computer enough and didn't mind the youtube crazy-go-fan when I had it, but the MBP doesn't do that. In fact I don't know that I've ever heard the fan on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Flash, which powers YouTube and I'm guessing plays a part in that Facebook game is notoriously bad on the Mac. You can expect jumps in CPU usage when using Flash which leads to increased temps. If you're using Safari as your browser, I suggest installing ClickToFlash. Not only does this block Flash content (there are many flash content blockers for the other browsers), it allows you to play the videos with QuickTime which is much less CPU intensive.

Van outstanding link ! didnt even know it existed thanx
Clay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
oh ya ....the cats meow !;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
My new Macbook Pro doesn't but that's not why I got a new one. The MBP just out-sexy's the MB.

Still liked the computer enough and didn't mind the youtube crazy-go-fan when I had it, but the MBP doesn't do that. In fact I don't know that I've ever heard the fan on this one.

I heartily agree about the sexiness level on the MBP.

I haven't had any fan issues with my MBP either (running Firefox 3.5.7, often with a LOAD of tabs open--9 tabs x 3 windows at the moment).

I assume it's just a mistype, but 1.2 meg of RAM could contribute, but I think your system would freak out before getting to Youtube.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.