Disappointed.

I

iFX

I just bought the 17" powerbook... I love this thing its awesome.. BUT..

WHY THE **** IS IT SCRATCHING SO EASILY? :eek:neye:

I am barely even using it and the body already has scrates on it.. this really sucks. Also will I have big black marks on the palm rest of my powerbook?

OP
R

roadracr

iFX said:
I just bought the 17" powerbook... I love this thing its awesome.. BUT..

WHY THE **** IS IT SCRATCHING SO EASILY? :eek:neye:

I am barely even using it and the body already has scrates on it.. this really sucks. Also will I have big black marks on the palm rest of my powerbook?

As the proud owner of a new 15-inch PB I've been viewing the forums looking at accessories. So far my PB has no scratches, but I was concerned by some threads in which PB owners complained of corrosion around the palm rest area (probably due to sweat). I have looked at the Wrist Rug but came up with a far simpler solution.

Basically, I purchased PDA screen protectors and applied them around the PB palm rest. The ones with a light adhesive work well. I used the Belkin ClearScreen Overlays which I found for $18.00 (for a package of 12) at Staples. I used the ones for larger PDA screens (such as the Palm Zire 72) and placed two across - in vertical orientation - on each side of the trackpad. I also cut one to fit the trackpad itself, hoping to avoid the trackpad wear issue I have seen in other threads. The trackpad works fine with the screen protector in place. These overlays are easily removable and should not leave any residue.

Application was very simple and I did not end up with too many bubbles (which I hear are a real problem on PDA screens, but not really an issue in my application).

Thought some of you might benefit from this.

OP
S

Steel02001

I dont know how you are scratching it so easily. I have had mine since the end of feb. and have one scratch on it total and it is hardly noticeable.

As for the black marks, do you have something black on your wrists quite ofterm watch, sleeves, bracelet? Most likely it will clean off with a wet rag.

OP
T

tariq

my pb is almost a year old and i have only one scratch on the lid, but i know what caused it. be a bit more careful :)

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Regarding your black marks - we're all a bit different at the chemical level - its possible your sweat/skin oils have this reaction with the aliminum material

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
roadracr said:
So far my PB has no scratches, but I was concerned by some threads in which PB owners complained of corrosion around the palm rest area (probably due to sweat).

Your Powerbook will not corrode from sweat. What happens is people don't bother cleaning their Powerbooks, and a layer of oil and sweat from your wrist and palms, builds up on the wrist-rest area, turning the metal an off shade of white. When you rub it, it doesn't go away. But a simple damp cloth or screen cleaner solution will clean it right off.

OP
I

iFX

Osiris... are u sure? ...My Sony Vaio corroded like **** by the palm rest area and it looked so crappy after 1.5 years :( i dont want my PB to do the same!

OP
S

Steel02001

Your powerbook will not. The type of material they use will not corrode, get a nasty build up yes, but not corrode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iFX said:
Osiris... are u sure? ...My Sony Vaio corroded like **** by the palm rest area and it looked so crappy after 1.5 years :( i dont want my PB to do the same!

I have had a powerbook for close to two years now, used daily for multiple hours and there is no corrosion at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i only have like 3 scratches in 2 years and a few little scuff marks....what have you been doin with your PB to get it scratched
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Try to protect it and take care. After all, it's all about the OS X :alien:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I agree! I've had my 17" Powerbook since the beginning of the year (we ordered it as soon as they came out!), and I do not have a single scratch on it. I wipe it down with a damp cloth and then dry it every day too. Baby wipes work well for when I miss a couple days and it gets a bit damp. I have not seen any corrosion issues.

Sweat can wear down other metals and coatings, but it seems like Macs use materials that are resistant to this.

OP
S

sonofapplepm

Quote from rs2sensen....
Baby wipes work well for when I miss a couple days and it gets a bit damp. I have not seen any corrosion issues.

I have to second this! AS a father of a three year old, i have an abundance of them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I dont know how you are scratching it so easy i have had mine since September 2004 and i only have one scratch from when i was rushing and sratched the tip of the lid on the zipper of my bag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.