Help buying a Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I currently have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop and have recently upgraded to Windows 7. 2 days ago I got a virus.

I am planning on buying a Macbook now, however I don't know much about them. If anyone could please send me some suggestions??

I am a university student, so I will constantly have multiple documents going i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. I usually have iTunes on all the time, and a couple internet pages going too.

I need a computer that won't freeze, or lag, or give me any problems. One that just works, with eas, and can handle running smoothly while I run all my applications simultaneously.

So, should I be going macbook pro? Or getting just the regular Macbook? Is there a need for to upgrade from 2.26ghz? How does 2.26ghz compare to windows?

I'm currently using 3GB DDR2 RAM, 2.00GHZ, 320GB HDD and Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo.

I would very much appreciate some feedback, thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am planning on buying a Macbook now, however I don't know much about them. If anyone could please send me some suggestions??

I am a university student, so I will constantly have multiple documents going i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. I usually have iTunes on all the time, and a couple internet pages going too.

I need a computer that won't freeze, or lag, or give me any problems. One that just works, with eas, and can handle running smoothly while I run all my applications simultaneously.

A new MacBook or MacBook Pro will have no problem doing what you mentioned.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 1,1 2Ghz 2GB Ram 120GB HDD
so i guess you were like me back in 06 when i needed a laptop. never had one before. didn't want to get a windows based laptop because all my buddies were getting viruses left and right. so i ended up getting the macbook pro. i would say it was probably the best purchase i made in a long time. still running today. and never had a problem with viruses. there is a learning curve in the beginning but macs aren't hard to use at all.

check your local apple store and just tell them what you need and want and what you are using it for and they can typically give you a good comparison between the different models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fall 09 macbook
The new macbook pro's are going to be released in a couple of weeks, so I guess you should wait to see how they are and if you like them, but a macbook seems like it will please your needs. My only complaint on my macbook is that of the fingerprints it leaves on, but I'm loving it. I'm about to upgrade to 4gb of ram just to have that extra speed, but having 2gb is still super fast

OP
S
Reaction score
How much are the new Macbook pro's going to cost? Do you know how I can find out anything about them?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 1,1 2Ghz 2GB Ram 120GB HDD
i think they might use the new intel i7 or i5 and they will probably use the ati 45xx graphics cards. honestly, i haven't seen anything on the web other than rumors. when i got my macbook pro back in 06, it was close to $3k. so i'm guessing it's going to be right around that type of price range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Unless your heavy into graphics and rendering video which the current MacBook Pro
is good at holding out for i7 may be a waste of money since the processor alone is usually 200.00 more than a duo core 2. May want to read where a couple of the other
brands are experiencing diminished battery life and running hot but a speed demon non
the less.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new macbook pro's are going to be released in a couple of weeks, so I guess you should wait to see how they are and if you like them,

It would be great to read some articles confirming this...do you have any links?

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" ...Soon :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There no real facts, only rumors.

No kidding genius...that's why I knew that a previous poster could not provide any links for factual information.

Here's the key quote from the previous poster in question:

"The new macbook pro's are going to be released in a couple of weeks..."

That's a VERY definite concrete statement! There was no "may", "probably", or "most likely" terms in that statement!!! They said "New MacBook Pros ARE going to be released...!!!

They may be right & they may be wrong...but at this point it's all guessing & rumor!

Apple product rumors + 50 cents will get you a bad cup of coffee!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I currently have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop and have recently upgraded to Windows 7. 2 days ago I got a virus.

So, should I be going macbook pro? Or getting just the regular Macbook? Is there a need for to upgrade from 2.26ghz? How does 2.26ghz compare to windows?

I'm currently using 3GB DDR2 RAM, 2.00GHZ, 320GB HDD and Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo.

I would very much appreciate some feedback, thank you.

I could care less if new MacBooks are released in a week--they'll probably be buggy for a while anyway.
I bought the 13"/2.26GHz/2GB Ram/160GB Hard Drive MacBook Pro a few weeks ago and haven't regretted it for a second. I've had several laptops over the year and this, by far, has been the best. It will perform the above actions you listed with no problems at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic
Hey Shampoo...the Mac is like that Moto Droid commercial: It Does! Sorry about your windows problem...now would be a right time to throw it out the Window (j/k) and go buy yourself a MB or a MBP. I love mine...I use my Mac more for projects I have never thought about doing on my HP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.