Less than a newbie here...

Reaction score
I'm pretty much an idiot in the computer area, so go easy on me. :)
I'm trying to go from a 7100/66 to a G4. The G4 had been at my step dads office for quite a few years without use and has been given to me.
All hooked up which was pretty easy. Desktop shows up and for a while nothing would open until I used the spacebar for some reason. Then when they did open I get a message that says....the application could not be opened because "whatever" created it could not be found....
It's not talking to our Motorola cable modem (Time Warner Cable). Clicking on internet tells me my software isn't configured properly. ??
I'm wondering if this computer was "networked" at his office and all the applications are on his current G5 ?
Some stuff works like photoshop and adobe. Nothing I'm interested in though, that is mom related stuff. We were thinking of dumping most of the crud that we don't want and starting over with mostly internet in mind. E-mail, games, surfing, etc. Oh yeah, it says OS 9.2 when starting up and our 7100/66 says OS 9.1. Looks like some serious upgrading is in order and the 7100/66 is just too out of date. I think.
Well, that's enough for now.
Thanks,
Marty
P.S. I'm not even sure if I know what some of the terms mean. Applications ? Extensions ? Maybe Macintosh for dummies would help ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sure sounds like it and Macs for Dummies is a great reference tool.. You need to get say a Tiger OS X.4 full retail install DVD, if the G4 has a DVD drive, make sure you do not buy the silver grey model specific discs, erase and form at the drive, run Repair Disk and do a clean install. You will lose what is on the drive but it sure sounds like the applications have been taken off before you got it.

What model is the G4, as before putting on OS X you may have to update the Firmware. Click on the Apple icon and go to About this Mac then More Info and tell us what is says regarding model, processor speed, memory, etc.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hooray !

We're moving forward ! I'll hook it back up, check that info. and post a bit later.
Thanks, I will be near a bookstore later today and looking for more help.
Mart

OP
E
Reaction score
Here's what I found so far...

On startup it says "extensions off" but when I check them they are all on. Another thing is to run internet I should install "applescript" ?
Software overview: 9.2.2 US / Active enabler: none
Startup device: 80GB hard drive
Type: ATA Hard drive
Memory overview: Disk cache: 128k
Virtual memory: Off
Built in memory: 1GB- pc100-322s
Backside L2 cache: 1mb
Hardware overview: Machine ID: 406
Model: Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics)
USB Keyboard
Processor: Power PC G4
Machine speed: 400 MHz
Another thing is when I put in a Canon camera disk it didn't even blink. No noise or nothing. Same with a Roadrunner startup disk. Like it wasn't even in there.
Thanks for your patience.
Marty

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What you have there is a PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (AGP Graphics). Power PC G4 400Mhz CPU, 1GB PC100 RAM.

With the 1GB RAM Tiger will run decently. OS 9.2.2 is so old it's not going to work well for you in todays Internet world. I would try what Harry above said and get Tiger 10.4 and install that.

I have a feeling the reason your Canon and Roadrunner CD's are not working is they are for OSX. How is the G4 connected to the network or cable modem? If OSX was installed I doubt you would need the RR CD.

OP
E
Reaction score
Modem connection...

It's connected to the modem with what I refer to as an oversize telephone jack plug. Ethernet ? Firewire ? Neither ?
So if I were to install Tiger 10.4 then I could in theory keep everything that's on the hard drive and sort it out later ?
Odd that the RR disc won't run, as it's what we used on the 7100/66.
I'm plannig on hitting the bookstore tomorrow and see if I can get a "for dummies" Mac computer book.
Marty
P.S. After poking around some more I see that maybe I should be posting under "software", now that we've determined what I'm working on ?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If the RoadRunner disc worked with your 7100/66 it is not specific to OS X and should have shown up in the drive. Sounds like the drive might be a bit wonky. Is it able to read any discs at all?

OP
E
Reaction score
Only other disc I have right now is...

A Canon digital camera disc and it wouldn't work either. There are some old Ashlar Vellum discs in the library I could try. Probably try that later tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks for the support. This is turning out to be a very friendly forum. :)
Marty

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.