iPhone without no cellular plan

Reaction score
I want to get a used iPhone, not sure 2G, or 3G, but probably 2G. If I get one with an expired SIM card, how do I get one of my own that's not attached to any plan to use it? Thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What country? Which carrier? Crucial information all of this.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The double negative in the title implies that you would actually want one with a cell plan, but the body of the post implies the opposite. I am confused.

Answer the the questions in the post above mine.

OP
N
Reaction score
My bad - iPhone with *no* cellular plan in the US

Sorry about the typo. I am in the US, New York City. I want to buy a used iPhone from someone and *not* sign on with AT&T and *not* use any other cell service.

I understand the need for the SIM card that's disabled or something like that.

Is this possible?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can use the SIM card from a AT&T GoPhone or something with expired balance. That will mean that it's a valid SIM card, but has no balance to make any calls. Not sure how that would affect data access of the cellular network, so you'll have to ensure you are always in WiFi range to do anything with the Internet.

With all of your restrictions, you'd probably be better served by an iPod Touch which is essentially what you are trying to make an iPhone..

Regards

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The double negative in the title implies that you would actually want one with a cell plan, but the body of the post implies the opposite. I am confused.

Need ta spend sum time in south Texas. You'll nevuh git it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Sorry about the typo. I am in the US, New York City. I want to buy a used iPhone from someone and *not* sign on with AT&T and *not* use any other cell service.

I understand the need for the SIM card that's disabled or something like that.

Is this possible?

You will need a SIM card but u can get by without a Data Plan, which means you only go on line with WIFI. Got my iPh Jul 08 new without SIM and no plan and just swapped the SIM out of my then Nokia and have been go ever since.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use an iPhone 3g with Pay as You Go. I do use the Pay as you Go though for emergency and quick calls but have no data plan. I just use WiFi as around here there is a lot of free wifi downtown and at friends houses I visit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.