So shall I just do a Win 7 Bootcamp install??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone
I have been waiting like a good little boy for Apple to release the Bootcamp update so I can install my Full Windows 7 Home DVD on my Macbook Pro 13" 2009, but the update isn't coming quick enough!!!

I've seen that people have install Win7 with bootcamp and just used Vista drivers....

So my question is this, shall I just do it? I'm tired of waiting? If anyone can give me the pitfalls or things to look out for, it'd be good.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So my question is this, shall I just do it? I'm tired of waiting? If anyone can give me the pitfalls or things to look out for, it'd be good.

Go for it. :) The Vista drivers included with Boot Camp 3.0 should work just fine 99% of the time. Once you get Win 7 installed and running OK, you can always visit the driver supplier's web site and download updated drivers if necessary.

Keep in mind that the Win 7 driver model is the same as Vista. As a matter of fact, Win 7 is Vista - but fine tuned to look and work better. :)

One thing I do recommend: Unless you have more than 4 GB of memory, or some other compelling reason, for now install the 32 bit version of Win 7. If you really need the 64 bit version that's OK, but keep in mind that 64 bit drivers are much harder to come by. And until software publishers recompile their programs for 64 bit, the 32 bit versions aren't going to run any faster or better in 64 bit.

Have fun and regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I believe the Boot Camp update released today now officially supports Windows 7.

MacDailyNews

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone, and yes it would seem that my question was a few hours too early as I would have discovered that Bootcamp now officially supports Win 7!

One thing though, having looked at all the files, there's nowhere that actually updates the utility in OSX, mine still tells me it's 3.0.1, and that I need an XP or Vista disc, and running the OSX updater tells me I'm all up to date, so I guess the update to Bootcamp 3.1 is done from inside Windows only, since all the update files are .exe?

Thanks guys.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the link, and as I suspected, all updates must be done in the windows partition when windows in running since all those files on the left are .exe files, I read a few other people on other forums were slightly confused about this since there appears to be no update to the actual Bootcamp utility in OSX just drivers really from windows, this is slightly odd since it's now bootcamp 3.1 and I still have 3.0 and there really seems to be no way to change/update the bootcamp version, unless this somehow happens when you update via windows? Anyway, I don't suppose it's important which version number it says it is as long as it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
go to that link: Apple - Support - Boot Camp and go to the installation guide which is in PDF.
Print it!
This has all the info you want, answered in the first few steps, including updates and how to's.
Anything beyond that you have nothing to worry about.
:)
Usually I'd get into detail, but that will have to wait until tomorrow if you get stuck.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks 6string, I looked through the PDF, I had checked through it last night too, I think I know what to do, there doesn't seem to be a way to update the utility via OSX there, but it clearly isn't necessary, the bootcamp Win 7 update is if you're updating Vista to Win7 and that's an .exe too anyway. So I will just go ahead as is and use the 3.1 update exe once in windows. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
jobborrow:

Just some info for you....

Last night while in Windows 7 the Apple Software Updater appeared and notified me of the update to Boot Camp. (3.1)

I immediately created a restore point in Windows 7 and then let the update proceed. A fairly large update consisting mostly of graphic, sound, and other drivers.

You can check what it updated by opening the log file it creates in your temp directory.

During the update, it put my machine to sleep once and did one reboot. Everything seems to be working fine. So far so good. :)

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I have returned from Windows back to OSX (prefer it here) so that's Windows 7 installed and working, well I say working, there are a few issues!!!

1. can't get my bluetooth mighty mouse to work, continually attempts to pair but NEVER does?

2. Another really irritating thing is this, I use a secondary monitor with my MBP, it's a 19"er and runs a res of 1440X900, however in the genius that it windows 7 the max res it will allow me to set is 1280 something, which is rubbish! I'm not sure if this is an issues I should be mentioning here, I guess it depends on whether we believe this to be an issue for Bootcamp or windows? Your guess is as good as mine!

Any thoughts happy people??

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well I have returned from Windows back to OSX (prefer it here) so that's Windows 7 installed and working, well I say working, there are a few issues!!!

1. can't get my bluetooth mighty mouse to work, continually attempts to pair but NEVER does?

Same thing with the Magic Mouse. I found that if you click the mouse during discovery a bunch of times it will eventually go through. I think it's a quirk of Windows Bluetooth drivers as I've had the same problem with other BT mice (non-Apple).

2. Another really irritating thing is this, I use a secondary monitor with my MBP, it's a 19"er and runs a res of 1440X900, however in the genius that it windows 7 the max res it will allow me to set is 1280 something, which is rubbish! I'm not sure if this is an issues I should be mentioning here, I guess it depends on whether we believe this to be an issue for Bootcamp or windows? Your guess is as good as mine!

Any thoughts happy people??

Thanks

Did you run the Apple Software Updater (manually) following he driver installs from System Disc 1 or the Snow Leopard disc? Sounds like the driver isn't talking to the monitor to know what resolutions it's capable of. You might also want to check the monitor manufacturer's site to see if they have a Windows driver for it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA, and all who are interested; got the mouse working, via a convoluted route, uninstalled it from OSX (I read somewhere that helped) went back into windows and tried again and eventually it went through.

As for the monitor issues, instead of using Windows 'personalize' options I did a right click and selected the NIVIDA control panel, I fiddled around in there trying to create a custom resolution and in the process it suddenly realized that it was better than it thought it was and started giving me to option to go 1440 900, so I did!

The only other silly little thing I encountered was that I couldn't get a background image on the secondary monitor to fit the screen, it would leave black borders around the screen, which looked horrible, anyway this I solved by using a custom image as a backdrop and then using the position function and 'centering it' of all things!!!???

So I think I'm all good now.... We'll see how long this lasts.... HA HA

Thanks guys.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bootcamp and Windows 7 on 2009 MacBook Pro 13" = The computer running at the heat of a million volcanoes!!!

Craziness!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66GHz / 4GB / 320GB / Matte 15"
Bootcamp and Windows 7 on 2009 MacBook Pro 13" = The computer running at the heat of a million volcanoes!!!

Craziness!!
Actually I heard it was only 1/2 million volcanoes, is that true? :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
I installed Win7 before the Bootcamp update and had no problems

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.