GarageBand with Casio keyboard PX 310 …

Reaction score
I have a Casio PX 310 keyboard and am wondering whether I can hook it up to my MPB (OS 10.6.2) and use it with GarageBand.

The page is at [http://music.casio.com/e/data_ex2/connect.html]. Is anyone already using this keyboard with GarageBand? Can someone pse tell me whether the hook-up arrangements shown look feasible, bearing in mind that the article refers to PCs?

On the other hand, I have been told:

"The PX-310 does not have an USB port, only a MIDI IN/OUT. For Mac you can use the Midi IN/OUT port."

What kind of device would I need between the Midi IN/OUT port of the keyboard and my MPB?

Comments appreciated …

M

Reaction score
i do something similar. you need to have a double sided male audio cable. the size needs to be the size of the mbp, i forget what it is. now depending on the audio out, you might need to have a adapter that the double male cable goes into and converts it to the size of an amp input. sorry if this was vague, heres a pic:
guitarbass95
this is what i use. the go to system prefs-sound-input-and make sure line in is selected. then in garage band, it should record but if you want to hear it while playing, then you need to find where it says monitor off and change it to on. im not sure where it is on the piano because i do it mainly with guitar and all instruments are different in garage band. i hope this helps, i had to find out myself because no one responds to garage band questions here, at least in my experience.

OP
M
Reaction score
GarageBand with Casio PX 310 ...

Thanks for your reply.

I have been in contact with Casio Support again and their 2nd reply is as follows:-

"First, confirm that your computer is equipped with a Sound Blaster or compatible audio card with a joystick port (Dsub 15-pin). If yes, you need a commercially available Sound Blaster MIDI cable adapter.

If your computer does not have a joystick port, you can connect your CASIO keyboard using a commercially available USB MIDI interface. Note, however, that some computers do not support use of a MIDI interface. Be sure to check whether your computer supports use of a MIDI interface before actually purchasing one.

You cannot use the "Analog audio in" socket on your Mac Power Book.
"

It's significant that they have amended the last sentence from "For Mac you can use the Midi IN/OUT port." to "You CANNOT use the "Analog audio in" socket on your Mac Power Book."

Can anyone pse comment regarding: " ... a Sound Blaster or compatible audio card with a joystick port (Dsub 15-pin). If yes, you need a commercially available Sound Blaster MIDI cable adapter."

Thanks in advance ...

M

Reaction score
that doesnt make sense seeing how if you could use the audio out for headphones, then it should work with the analog. are there any special feature that need the special connections? try finding a casio forum. there will be more people with knowledge of this. good luck

OP
M
Reaction score
OK ... thanks for your help. I'll keep digging but will also go to my local music shop.

M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.