Entourage I/O error - now mac in meltdown!

Reaction score
Hi

Entourage inbox comes up with this I/O error so after googling I've tried to rebuild Entourage it but same error comes up. Other info suggests this is then a disk problem. Then ran disk utility from startup disk and it says there are no probs. Macbook now superslow and I am having difficulty backing up anything as it seems to find errors with everything. Any help appreciated as I've found a few similar things after researching but no other fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Is Entourage a) part of Office, or is it b) standalone?

If a) then you need to use the Office Uninstall application to remove Office altogether. Then, repair permissions, preferably with Onyx (apropos your current OS). Then reboot.

You can reinstall Office after doing the maintenance.

If b), then use a third party application cleaner like AppZapper or CleanApp to remove Entourage and all its related software components. Once again, do the maintenance, before reinstalling Entourage (but you might want to think about using an alternative email application!).

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks - it is part of office. I don't really get this bit:
Then, repair permissions, preferably with Onyx(??) (apropos(??) your current OS).

What other email apps do others use?

Thanks for the reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Onyx: Titanium Software Just make sure you get the right version for your OS (which you don't mention). Once you've got it, post back for instructions about how best to utilise it.

Other email apps? [are you a convert from Windows?] There are many options, briefly - Thunderbird, Eudora, Apple Mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Removed - duplicate post (da**ed slow server!)

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I have tried to back up what i can and hope for the best. I'm on another computer now but I think I have 10.4.11 and office 2004. I actually had office 2008 that I hadn't bothered installing so tired to upgrade but it wouldn't of course. Am uninstalling and getting onyx so any other tips please let me know. Thanks again

Edited to say I can't install onyx it just fails :(

Getting worse. Tried to install 2008 and it won't do that either. It's not looking good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disk Warrior, I think, is your last resort. It can repair disks to a greater extent than any other repair utility.

If it fails, you're right, "not looking good", in which case try booting your Mac in Safe Mode (hold down Shift on startup) to retrieve as much non-OS stuff as you can, and then look at replacing the hard drive altogether.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.