When saving to Macintosh HD, do not have access privileges

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13.3" MacBook Pro: 300GB HDD, 2.53 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM/ 80GB iPod Video Classic
When trying to save a picture from the internet to my Macintosh HD, it gives me the message: "The document '...' could not be exported as '...'. You do not have appropriate access privileges." This message does not appear when I try to save it to the desktop. I don't have access privileges to my own MBP? Any fixes/suggestions?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
There are a lot of variations to "saving a picture from the internet" so you need to tell us exactly what you are doing. If you want to use the simple, always works method, just do a partial screen capture (Command/Shift/4) and the captured picture goes onto your Desktop. You can add the Control key to that combination to put the picture into your Clipboard.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13.3" MacBook Pro: 300GB HDD, 2.53 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM/ 80GB iPod Video Classic
"There are a lot of variations to "saving a picture from the internet" so you need to tell us exactly what you are doing. If you want to use the simple, always works method, just do a partial screen capture (Command/Shift/4) and the captured picture goes onto your Desktop. You can add the Control key to that combination to put the picture into your Clipboard."

I was simply right clicking and "Save As" to Macintosh HD.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You shouldn't have access to willy nilly save files to Macintosh HD which points to the ROOT of your HD. You should have to enter your super user password to do that, and a regular Save As from the browser isn't going to ask you for that info.

You should always only save files to directories within your home directory, like Pictures in your home directory which is available under the Places section in Finder.

Regards

Reaction score
You shouldn't have access to willy nilly save files to Macintosh HD which points to the ROOT of your HD. You should have to enter your super user password to do that, and a regular Save As from the browser isn't going to ask you for that info.

You should always only save files to directories within your home directory, like Pictures in your home directory which is available under the Places section in Finder.

Regards

Please......anyone has the right to save to anywhere on your own machine. I love saving stuff to my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
What about just dragging to your desktop (which always works for me)?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can save to my Desktop no problem, but I can't save to the actual "folder" (for lack of a better word) named Macintosh HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't understand why you would want to save to the HD, and not to a designated folder in your home directory or in your HD directory.
You can create a folder in either Home or Macintosh HD, named "Save to HD" if that makes you feel better and save to there.
Or am I missing something?
I just can't understand why you would want the sub menu in HD to be cluttered with loose files, pics, etc.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I have no desire to clutter it up, I was just wondering why I couldn't. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.