Time Machine + NAS problems, please help

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had time machine up and running fine with my NAS (mybook world edition(white stripe)) for just over a week, and yesterday I noticed time machine doing a full backup. I though to myself "how strange", checked the backup folder and noticed it was actually creating a new sparsbundle, and the old one which had the weeks worth of backups was reading as 0kb. I tried to delete the old one and it gave me an error code 50 (in fact it still is, I can't delete it).

My worry is that after doing another full backup I'm going to have the same problem, as I can't link it to anything. There's plenty of room on the NAS for the backups, so space isn't the issue.

Did it corrupt itself? Anyone else experienced this issue with a NAS (or I guess any external or local).

I've had a look around and haven't found anything matching my scenario.

Any help?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have a Netgear ReadyNAS that is the storage for my Time Machine and it's been running great for the past 8 months without any problems. After the initial bundle creation that backed up my entire drive, all consecutive backups are very small (~25 MB) and quick.

Regards

OP
M
Reaction score
I think I may have worked out what happened ...

My power went out at some point last night ... around the same time I 'think' time machine buggered up. So my assumption is that the power was cut to the NAS just as time machine happened to be doing a back up, perhaps corrupting the sparsbundle.

This is only an assumption, but I figure a reasonable one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.