• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

burning homemade movies on dvd..?

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I Recently have just been getting into making movies/slideshows on my mac, and I have a family reunion coming up and so i wanted to show my movie at the reunion... (to be played on a dvd player) I had tried to burn the movie onto the dvd, but when I put it in any player it tells me its unable to read the disc.

I've looked around at some sites, and a lot of them say to use idvd to burn dvds. I tried looking for this program on my macbook, and was unable to find it - is this a program I have to buy?

If that is the case is there a different program I can use that I wouldn't have to pay for. If anyone can help me out that would be fantastic!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
iDVD is part of the iLife suite, which comes packaged with new Macs.

You should be able to find it in your Applications folder. You might also try hitting Command+Space and typing iDVD in the Spotlight search field.

If it's missing, you may need to reinstall from your System Discs.

Aside from iDVD, what have you been using to burn your projects onto a disc in the past?

OP
L
Reaction score
hi there,

I got my mac probably about 2 years ago, so it's not quite as new as you are probably thinking =P

I've tried burning them with itunes, and I had tried some demo things that i have found online, I don't remember what programs those were though

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All Macs come with iLife and that's been true for quite a long time now. Yours would have definitely come with it. DVD Players require a very specific type of data, burnt in a specific way. That's where iDVD (or even Roxio's Toast) come in. Do a Spotlight search as mentioned above and see if you can find it. If not, you'll need to extract it from your System Discs.

OP
L
Reaction score
alright, I will try when I get home from work and I'll let you know. thanks!

OP
L
Reaction score
Alright, so I found the idvd... I have like 12 chapters... 50 minutes each. Is there a way to burn that onto one disc? Right now it's telling me I have to burn one chapter at a time. anyone now what i can do?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, so I found the idvd... I have like 12 chapters... 50 minutes each. Is there a way to burn that onto one disc? Right now it's telling me I have to burn one chapter at a time. anyone now what i can do?

Well, I'm using iDVD from the '09 suite, so I'm not sure if yours is different or not. But basically, all I do is create a new project, click Media in the lower right corner and then import my movie files. Each file is a chapter.

How are your videos formatted?

OP
L
Reaction score
uhh thats what i did before... do you have one of those theme things? It says my files are mp4, but i also have avi... so when you import it, the files are put on the right side right, then do you click and drag?

OP
L
Reaction score
when i dragged the files, I get this message. "your project exceeds the max content duration. to burn your dvd change the encoder setting in thr project info window

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
L
Reaction score
yeah I'm sure once i figure out idvd it will be easy... i think somehow i need to make the files smaller haha

OP
L
Reaction score
alright, so now I got toast... i click the big red circle and get this error

"could not record the disc because of a mac os error"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Honestly though, your talking about putting 12x50min video "chapters" on a dvd - not going to happen (at least not and be of any decent quality, plus I don't think that iDVD can go that low on quality), most you'll get is 2-4 depending on how the video quality is set.

Also take a look - those DVD box sets that have, say 4, maybe 5 tv episodes on a single DVD are using dual layer DVDs and people who specialize in compression to get the best picture out with the space they have available.

Another question I have is - what exact version/model Macbook do you have? I ask because up until the late 2008 model, it's possible to get a Macbook with either a Combo Drive (DVD play/CD-R/CD-RW) or a Superdrive (supports burning a DVD) You can find out what you support by going to the Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info -> Disc Burning will tell you what your system supports

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.