• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

S-VIDEO and MAC mini

N

normal1

Okay, so here is my setup mac mini > ADVC 110 analog-to-digital converter - I use it now to grab video from my analog camcorder. Now last night I tried to use the s-video out on the rear of the av/dv converter to watch some videos that are on the mac mini. I had the tv set to svhs and everything was plugged in.. I had the setting on the converter as digital in, which as I understand it (on the canopus manual) its to spew out analog video from the mac (digital) to the tv (analog).

Great so I boot up the mac... and wait... and wait.. nothing on the screen.
I hooked a small monitor to the mac to make sure it was working fine.. all good.
Tried RCA from the converter to the tv now, no go. I dont know if the mac requires some sort of driver or if the convert is bad. I'm just looking for some thoughts from the community.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
normal1 said:
Okay, so here is my setup mac mini > ADVC 110 analog-to-digital converter - I use it now to grab video from my analog camcorder. Now last night I tried to use the s-video out on the rear of the av/dv converter to watch some videos that are on the mac mini. I had the tv set to svhs and everything was plugged in.. I had the setting on the converter as digital in, which as I understand it (on the canopus manual) its to spew out analog video from the mac (digital) to the tv (analog).

Great so I boot up the mac... and wait... and wait.. nothing on the screen.
I hooked a small monitor to the mac to make sure it was working fine.. all good.
Tried RCA from the converter to the tv now, no go. I dont know if the mac requires some sort of driver or if the convert is bad. I'm just looking for some thoughts from the community.

Cheers
The only video signal coming from the mac without some specialized software is through the DVI port. The digital to analog function of the canopus is intended for device to device transfers. If you can find some way to make the mac stream d/v over firewire then it should work, but I dunno how you'd do that.

With older macs (pb pismo, tower with 3rd party vid card, Beige G3-A/V etc.) that havebuilt in analog video out, this would be a cinch, but I don't know of a good way to convert a DVI signal to S- or component video.

good luck

OP
N

normal1

Odd, then that begs the question, Why doesnt the converter have a piece of software to do this. Hmm.. I think I'll have to give them a ring on monday, although I hate talking on the phone. :/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.