Fan running constantly

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro running the most recent version of snow leopard. Recently I have noticed that my system's fan is running constantly. Is this a warning sign and something I need to be concerned about? If so, what steps should I take to determine if I have a problem. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The fans should run constantly, however if you can hear them loudly, go into System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options and make sure Processor Performance is set to Automatic. Running Apple Hardware Test will see if there are any hardware problems and a little widget iStat pro will keep an eye on temperature etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I wasn't aware that the fan ever turns completely off when the MBP is running. I had smcFanControl installed for several weeks, and I never noticed the fan in my MBP in an off condition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wasn't aware that the fan ever turns completely off when the MBP is running. I had smcFanControl installed for several weeks, and I never noticed the fan in my MBP in an off condition.

It doesn't turn off. It slows down to an idle of around 1800 RPM until such a time that the temperature sensors tell it to speed up to compensate for heat.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
I really appreciate the advice harry. I downloaded istat pro and saw that my fan is actually running at 499 rpm. However, i still hear a loud humming noise coming from my tower. Do you have any suggestions as to which apple hardware test I should run to make sure my system is functioning properly? I just want to make sure everything is good and fix any problems that may be occurring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Oh darn, I did it again! I keep reading Macbook Pro when someone posts Mac Pro. I must be dyslexic or something. Sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes George and them MacBook things ain't REAL mens computers!

Just pop in disc one and run the extended test. Also open her up and make sure there are is no dust clogging the fans, particularly around the front leg air inlet. May also be the fans as there has been quite some comment on Mac Pro humming. Have a look at this link:-

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1971943

Reaction score
Mac pro fan running constantly

I also had the same problem and a simple reboot would not clear it up. The SMC has to be reset, which is done by shutting down the computer, unplugging the power cord for about 15 seconds and then rebooting. That always cleared it up.

But this occured frequently, about two to three times a week. I finally opened the computer and removed some a small, quarter size, battery that is on the mother board. I vacumed the inside and the fans. It has been running normally for a couple of weeks now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.