Popping, hissing, clicking--oh my!

K

ktmusar

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone here can help me--I've reached my breaking point!

Since getting my 3rd(!!) logic board installed in my G3 ibook last month, my computer has been making popping, hissing, and clicking noises sporadically. It seems to be coming from the upper left quadrant. First I took it to my local Mac Store who charged me $50 to tell me there's no problem. They did a full HD diagnostic work up since these are symptoms of hard drive failure. My HD is just fine. I paid my bill, went home, booted up, and heard the noises within the first 5 minutes. I stormed back to the store and got the techs to admit that they heard the noise too. After taking out the Airport card, the noise occurred less frequently, but still nonetheless, it was happening. I got a refund and had my computer shipped off to Apple.

Well, I was without my iBook for 2 weeks, and Apple's verdict was "no problem, we don't know what you are talking about." Upon getting my computer home, of course it starts making noise. I've taken my Airport card out and the problem is still here. There doesn't appear to be any specific action that is tied to the noise.

Ok, sorry for the lengthy explanation. Does anyone out there have any ideas???

Thanks!
Katie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.