external hard drive keeps cycling?

Reaction score
Hello -

I have an iMac. I have 6 external hard drives connected via firewire to my Mac.

In the middle of the night and early in the morning I can hear a hard drive cycling through. What I mean, is that whine when a hard drive is waking up and then you hear the kick down and the click that lets you know that it's not spinning anymore. It's not continuous ... but very frequent. My guess is it happens like every 4-5 minutes. I don't know when it actually stops (like a number of cycles). I just notice is more at night. Can't say I've even noticed it during the day.

I have gotten up and checked to see which hd it actually is. It's my newest one - LaCie 1TB - it's a guy's name model, I forget. It's small and fairly compact.

Anyway, my question is - do I have something set wrong for this to keep happening? I definitely don't want to lose this drive. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,
Mercsadies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Are the frices set up as a raid or are they individual drives? Cause for ndividual drives I didn't think there was anything tp set up for it. I know with mine I just plugged it in and it was there it just worked.

My first impression for your issue seems to be a crook drive. Is your drive still under the warranty. If so best to use it while you can.

OP
M
Reaction score
These are individual drives. I don't mean, having the hd setup ... I meant, something in the computer - like a sleep setting. The hd is plugged in via firewire and does not have any problems.... knock on wood.

the frices set up as a raid <-- don't know what that means.
seems to be a crook drive <-- not sure what this means.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.