• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do the Apple stores sell non Apple software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have never been in an Apple store. Well there is one coming soon to my state like 90 mins away from me by train and I might just go. But I would like to know if the Apple stores sell non Apple software. Like for example photoshop and various games that run on OS X and others. Why I ask is I do not want to spend the 90 mins on the train and get there and realise that there is none there.

Cause my local JB-Hi Fi 10 mins from my house sell Apple computers and Apple made software. And it is hard to find non Apple software for OS X around here. So that's why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Mate down here in Canberra we dont have a  shop, but we do have NextByte which is a Authorised Reseller and they solely sell  products. In that store i have seen Games, and other software such as Microsoft Office and Roxio Toast. They dont have a great deal of it but there are 3rd party gear getting around.
I know its not a  store but that is my dealings with it.....
NextByte

Now what is a  store ?? lol i Have never seen one either :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've only been in a couple of Apple stores so far (in a couple of malls). All of them have had some third-party software. The selection seemed to vary a bit depending upon available space, If you are interested in specific titles it might be worth a phone call to see if they have the titles you want.

Reaction score
The Apple Store near me sells 3rd part software and some 3rd party accessories...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends on how big the store is. The one that I go to have a whole wall dedicated to software and the other to accessories.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
All the apple stores I have been to have sold third party software and accessories.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ours is fairly small - it's just a mall storefront, and there's quite a bit of non-Apple hardware and software there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The Apple Store near me sells 3rd part software and some 3rd party accessories...

Ditto. There are three stores in my area. I've been to two of them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ours is (I am told) a bit larger then some and there is quite a bit of 3rd party hardware and software there.

This is the grand opening shot just before it opened in the evening. I was there of course! :D It was a fun experience that I will never forget. Thousands of people, very friendly staff. They cleared the way for me to use the 8-Core Mac Pro to put in my report to some friends. Very cool.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have never been in an Apple store. Well there is one coming soon to my state like 90 mins away from me by train and I might just go. But I would like to know if the Apple stores sell non Apple software. Like for example photoshop and various games that run on OS X and others. Why I ask is I do not want to spend the 90 mins on the train and get there and realise that there is none there.

I have a fairly large Apple Store near me...and they used to have a really large software selection...basically anything the Apple Online Store sold the Apple Store near me sold (Apple & non-Apple software).

But recently after they remodeled the store...installed the Genius Bar & more display area for computers...they seem to have scaled the software selection back quite a bit.

I would say that if you're interested in a specific software title, and are concerned about taking the train 90 minutes each way...why not call the Apple Store near you first, and ask them if they have the software title before leaving? They may even set it aside for you just to make sure you get it.

Also...I would recommend visiting your local Apple Store at least once just for the experience. It's kind of fun going into the Apple Store...and seeing all of those Mac's & Apple products all in one place!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Both stores in my area are fairly large and have a great selection of hardware and software. Every time that I have gone down to one of them I have been able to get whatever I needed from cases for iPods to software.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thanks everyone for your responces. And cause of everything said here I'll try to see when the opening of the chermside store is and be there fore the opening with the crowds and all. Should be fun. Well I hope the crowds turn up. (lazy QLD people haha)

To pigoo3: You might just be right. There is nothing I need right now in 3rd party software. But you know how it is yo usee something and just buy it cause you can. I want to do that too. Just browse and maybe buy. And yes the Myers store here in Brisbane has it's own Apple section and even a quasi genius bar. And the JB hifi stores have a lot of Apple hardware on show.

But I just want to see a real Apple store you know for the experience + for the 3rd party stuff the above two I mentioned seem to lack.

To TattooedMac: There is a NextByte in Brisbane according to their website but I've not been there. Last time I looked I could not find it. I'll have to look again. And yeah cope you gat an Apple store in the ACT cause there's not that much else there to do :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I hope the crowds turn up. (lazy QLD people haha)

Very funny..."lazy QLD people"!

We got those folks here as well!
smiley-laughing024.gif

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very funny..."lazy QLD people"!

We got those folks here as well!
smiley-laughing024.gif

- Nick

Hey, not all older folks are lazy! :D

Some get around better than some LAZY kids I know! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, not all older folks are lazy! :D

Some get around better than some LAZY kids I know! :D

Hey...I hope you're joking!;) I meant no "Old Folks" offense!:)

The abbreviation from "the 8thark" is "QLD" not "OLD". "QLD" referring to "Queensland"...I think.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put smiles! :D

I am always joking about stuff like that but it's really true. When I first moved into my house my 14 and 17 year old nieces had problems keeping up with me on a 6 mile walk. I had to slow down for them! :D

Dang soft kiddies! hahahahaha

I never let them forget it either! :D

I just looked and it did say QLD! :D See, old age getting to me also! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
To TattooedMac: There is a NextByte in Brisbane according to their website but I've not been there. Last time I looked I could not find it. I'll have to look again. And yeah cope you gat an Apple store in the ACT cause there's not that much else there to do :)

They are quite a good store, per say, but the so called staff here have a lot to be desired. Is how i got my 1st Mac, emailed them about a firesale Mac no reply in 4 days and they took it off website. So i sent a scathing email back to them telling them in un wanted terms that they where the worst customer service a came across. Next thing (2Hrs) the CEO emailed me with a thousand apologies and offered me the latest Whitebook for the firesale price of 899 ... $600 off the original.
Now i dont have a bad thing to say about them lol

But they are VERY  in there... Worth a look if you can find it and as a lazy QLD'er TRY lol ;P

And your half right ...... Not much to do here once you have done it all ;D

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The abbreviation from "the 8thark" is "QLD" not "OLD". "QLD" referring to "Queensland"...I think.
You think correct.

And it's cool dtravis7. I'm sure it was funny at the time :).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.