How do I get a logo to look aged/80s retro like these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I'm trying to get a logo for my band that looks like something out of a 1980s magazine ad. These modern (believe it or not) retro-looking ones seem to be characteristically 3-D and shiny using fonts I can't seem to find anywhere. Some examples:

RUSS CHIMES on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (look on top left)

ANORAAK on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (look on top left)

promonew.gif

classixx.jpg

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well you already did the research kind of...

Now you need to analyze what you see. What do they have in common? I'm seeing geometric shapes, and very bright colors.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found something close to what I want on Font Shop, but when I entered some sample text to see what it'd look like, it got all messed up and distorted. Try it for yourself -- or am I just seeing things? All the other fonts work fine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you already did the research kind of...

Now you need to analyze what you see. What do they have in common? I'm seeing geometric shapes, and very bright colors.

Yeah, I guess I'm wondering: What kind of filters do I need? Does Photoshop have them?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I found something close to what I want on Font Shop, but when I entered some sample text to see what it'd look like, it got all messed up and distorted. Try it for yourself -- or am I just seeing things? All the other fonts work fine.

20100119-naaarq1dbgip66yesdru9ig622.jpg

It's not messed up. The Character palette just doesn't match up with the keyboard. You need to look at the font's character palette to see the whole font and see what keys it corresponds to.

Yeah, I guess I'm wondering: What kind of filters do I need? Does Photoshop have them?

Not sure what you mean by this. Filters are a crutch..and if you use them they need to be used in a unique and different way. If not everyone can tell exactly how you did it, and it will be cheesy.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what you mean. You typed in STAN and it added a bunch of extra stuff. I guess that's just the way it was designed, but it's not very clear. For example, the letter C has what looks like an A attached to it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what you mean. You typed in STAN and it added a bunch of extra stuff. I guess that's just the way it was designed, but it's not very clear. For example, the letter C has what looks like an A attached to it.

This is the Character Map or Glyphs for that font.

20100119-qtqk7hgc38c3w559cs7ujx8mbh.jpg

See how it doesn't have the letter C by itself?

This is what you get when you play around with the glyphs, so you can actually pick and choose what you want.

20100119-tie7whbsa5js99ghd6xjdwr89r.jpg

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see. I was excited to find it because it's similar to the one here:

classixx.jpg

Is there any other font similar that's clearer?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you talking about the metallic/chrome look? There are a bunch of tutorials on how to do that. Just need to look for them.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I got a friend to whip something up for me:

logo-new-12.gif

However, two things I need adjusted: Removing the square in the top right and also giving it a washed out gradient seen here?

If someone could just carefully cut out the square, it'd be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 320gb 7200rpm HDD Snow Leopard
too small to edit man sorry. are you wanting the perspective as well as the texture?
try a dark color and then a lighter shade of the same with a grunge brush to get the texture effect seen in your example.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What tool would I use to carefully cut out the square?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.