New to the world of Mac and had a question reguarding RAM..

Reaction score
Hi I'm currently in the process of upgrading to the iMac 27in been using nothing but windows and im eager to make the switch. And I've been saving up for quite some time now and thursday is the big day:D Im looking into upgrading the ram from 4gb to 8gb but the apple store will charge 188 to upgrade my ram but I found compatible ram online and I can get for 111.98 including shipping which would save me about 75 . I was wondering if I could just use 4 2gb ram modules or do I have to use 2 4GB modules? Because looking online I believe it said the imac had for ram slots.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes Apple is well known for charging too much for ram upgrades!

I'm not sure where you're purchasing the ram from...but I would recommend getting the ram from:

OWC

Their products are definitely Macintosh compatible, they have great prices, helpful customer support, and a flexible return policy.

Enjoy that new 27" iMac..they're pretty awesome!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
Yes, you can use 4 2gb modules or 2 4gb modules. Either will work because the new iMac has four ram slots.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks pigoo3 and Mac Pro. Owc was the site I was looking to getting my ram from. And yeah I noticed the four ram slots on the new iMac, thanks for the info. Can't wait to finally get my mac guess I'll order my ram now.. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
2x 4 GB might be the better route as you'll have the 2 slots left if you want to get even more ram.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
2x 4 GB might be the better route as you'll have the 2 slots left if you want to get even more ram.

Except it might leave a small dent in your wallet. >_<"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.