question regarding macbook pro 1,1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 1,1 2Ghz 2GB Ram 120GB HDD
hi, this is my first post on the forums.

i have a few questions regarding the macbook pro 1,1 that was released way back in 2006. i'm currently using this one right now but i am wondering if i can upgrade the wireless from g to n. i'm getting some spotty reception from my router. but new hp pc doesn't seem to have a problem and they are basically side by side in my room. i'm wondering if going from g to n will boost the reception of the wireless connection for my macbookpro?

i think i'm able to upgrade, but i'm not sure and i kinda don't want to pay 1.99 to the apple store for something i can't use.

can someone help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Airport card in your MBP is a b\g model and not capable of receiving or doing n speeds. I'm not sure that you can upgrade the card to a newer one with n capability. And besides that, there is no guaranty that will improve your speed or stability to the net.

I would first go over all your Airport settings on the MBP and make sure they're correct. And then try changing settings on the router for best performance. Before getting into the router, make sure you attach an ethernet cable first so that you do not lose the connection altogether.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i have a few questions regarding the macbook pro 1,1 that was released way back in 2006.

i'm currently using this one right now but i am wondering if i can upgrade the wireless from g to n.

can someone help?

Ha ha ha...2006...soooo long ago!;)

But more seriously. The MacBook Pro 1,1 (15" screen, 2.16ghz CPU) is not firmware upgradeable to wireless "n". The next Model MBP 2,2 (15", 2.33 ghz CPU) was firmware upgradable to "n". Sorry.:(

HTH,

- Nick

OP
arcticreaver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dang. that kinda sucks. i was hoping to see if that would help my woes with the wireless connection.

i've tried with a wire connection and the connection is fine. i have a fairly large room so i can move around a bit and get a better signal. i wonder if the airport express base station would help.

on another note, is 2gigs of ram the most this model can handle?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
dang. that kinda sucks. i was hoping to see if that would help my woes with the wireless connection.

on another note, is 2gigs of ram the most this model can handle?

On the positive side...I don't really think being able to upgrade to "n" would solve the problem.

It's probably something else with your wireless network. Maybe the quality of the router, maybe too many walls or floors between the router & your computer, or maybe you're simply too far from the router.

As far as the ram. Yes 2 gig is the max for your computer...give this a read to learn more about your computer:

MacBook Pro "Core Duo" 2.16 15" Specs (MacBook Pro, MA601LL, A1150, MacBookPro1,1) @ EveryMac.com

- Nick

OP
arcticreaver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the information Nick. i guess my macbook pro is pretty much maxed out then. i was curious because it's become rather a bit slow with the boot up. i think i will reformat the hdd tonight and see if that will solve some of the woes i get from my macbook pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.