I was in a room with a lot of steam and now my macbook seems broken

Reaction score
I opened my computer and all of a sudden the powerbutton stopped working. I took the battery out put it back in then realized now the laptop wont turn on and it didnt for a few days. After a few days it started working then I decided to format my comp and during the reinstall of the os the computer would just turn off. I tried 20 times and each time the same thing. I then used my snowleopard cd and directly installed snowleopard the install went fine. Now when i use my laptop every 10 mins two messages come up at the same time one "are you sure you want to turn of the comp" the other you hear the sound when you press the f12 volume button and see the pic of the volume and this happens every ten mins. The other problem is when i close the flip of the comp after im done using it instead of going to sleep the comp turns of in 6 sec and just powers off completely. This sucks. I have to turn on the computer each time i want to use it. When i go to turn it on a white screen pops up and then restarts and then the comp starts. WHAT CAN I DO. I cant afford the stupid genius bar prices and i culdnt afford apple care and now its tooo late cuz its out of warranty.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible that moisture from the steam seeped into your MacBook and has damaged it. The only advice I can give you is to let it dry out best you can for several days and see what happens.

Water (moisture from steam) and computers do not go well together. :[

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
And stay out of the sauna with the notebook! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Of course steam (water) does not mix with electronics. Exactly why I always tell my girlfriend to not take her phone into the restroom when she showers.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I opened my computer and all of a sudden the powerbutton stopped working. I took the battery out put it back in then realized now the laptop wont turn on and it didnt for a few days. After a few days it started working then I decided to format my comp and during the reinstall of the os the computer would just turn off. I tried 20 times and each time the same thing. I then used my snowleopard cd and directly installed snowleopard the install went fine. Now when i use my laptop every 10 mins two messages come up at the same time one "are you sure you want to turn of the comp" the other you hear the sound when you press the f12 volume button and see the pic of the volume and this happens every ten mins. The other problem is when i close the flip of the comp after im done using it instead of going to sleep the comp turns of in 6 sec and just powers off completely. This sucks. I have to turn on the computer each time i want to use it. When i go to turn it on a white screen pops up and then restarts and then the comp starts. WHAT CAN I DO. I cant afford the stupid genius bar prices and i culdnt afford apple care and now its tooo late cuz its out of warranty.

First and foremost, do not power it on. If there's still moisture inside, chances are the reason for the erratic behavior is a short. Moisture, in and of itself, will not damage a machine - it's the shorting that happens as a result.

Turn the machine off and leave it off for at least 72 hours. If you can, pack it in a box with rice, which will help it to dry faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.