Maintenance on a 2yr old Macbook

Reaction score
My Macbook is 2 years old and I am wondering if there is some sort of "maintenance" I should be doing with it? It runs fine, but I never really do anything with it, e.g, disk utility, defrag etc etc. Is there something I should do to optimize it even more, something that would be beneficial after this amount of time?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Are would just be happy that it's running fine, and running disk utility permissions repair once a month isn't a bad idea.
Defrag is not really needed in 99.9% of cases for mac users.
As long as you keep up to date with the software and have no problems, enjoy using your mac as you are.
Mine's just over 2years old now too, and she purs along. The only thing is that the screen is not as bright as it used to be, but this is to be expected.
I expect another 2-3 years before I have to upgrade, however, I may do so sooner or later, depending on technology and what it brings :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My Macbook is 2 years old and I am wondering if there is some sort of "maintenance" I should be doing with it?

Maintenance:

- change the oil
- replace the oil filter
- rotate the tires
- clean the windshield
- vacuum the interior

Good to go!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Early 09), PowerBook G4 12" (DVI), Macintosh LCII, Macintosh Classic
Just as long as you're not an idiot with your computer, you shouldn't need to do any maintenance. The most you should do is keep the trash empty and clean out your web browsing history. You can get a utility called OnyX and that will enable you to do a few more things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.