Am i paranoid or is it just me?!? (MBP)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4gb DDR3 unibody, iPhone 3G 16gb, iPod Touch 16gb
Since i bought my MBP about 4 months ago it booted up quickly...now (pass month or so maybe) it feels like its taking longer to boot...basically is this normal or am i just being paranoid (longer as in maybe a minute or less to boot up compared to like 30 seconds when i first got it..)

PS yesterday for the first time my MBP FROZE. the spinning colorwheel was spinning then suddenly stopped. i freaked out ended up having to hold power button...everything works fine but my other friends never experienced their MBP freeze... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
Since i bought my MBP about 4 months ago it booted up quickly...now (pass month or so maybe) it feels like its taking longer to boot...basically is this normal or am i just being paranoid (longer as in maybe a minute or less to boot up compared to like 30 seconds when i first got it..)

PS yesterday for the first time my MBP FROZE. the spinning colorwheel was spinning then suddenly stopped. i freaked out ended up having to hold power button...everything works fine but my other friends never experienced their MBP freeze... :(
BREATH!!!! alright, what sort of configuration do you have, hd, ram and how much hd space left?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
When's the last time you ran permissions repair in disk utility?
How cluttered is your desktop?
How full is your trash?
How many login items to you have on startup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
How full is your trash?

Exactly all these thing contribute to speed, If your desktop is cluttered make a new folder "desktop stuff" and put everything in it. Empty the trash, delete un needed files, I believe that disk space is one of the keys to a fast computer. I like to have double what i need, if i can,

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53GHz 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
and capacity is 249.72GB and available is 170.45GB
i have nothing on my actual desktop....i dont really have much on here... and i never ran any configuration or utilities...(btw the desktop is like day one i havent dont anything its just the Macintosh HD thing....

btw i think i have alot in my trash...ill empty it right now....

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How full is your trash?

what is permissions repair and how do i get to it?!?! thanks a bunch

so far i deleted caches, deleted some plist, and emptied trash can

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
To get to the permissions repair launch Disk Utility (in Applications/Utilities). Select the hard drive in the pane on the left (make sure you pick the one that is indented). Then click the Repair Permissions button.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i repaired the macintosh HD...hope thats right...

thanks btw

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You got it:)
You should do this once a month or so, or any time you update your OS X, or make any major changes to your system.
Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX is what you should be using, and until you understand what all the features do, just use the basic automation tab once it has finished verifying your disk and checking the smart status.
Also, while we are on the subject of maintaining your system, you should also keep regular backups on an external HD using time machine (in applications folder).
Other options for backups are Carbon Copy Cloner - Home or SuperDuper! which will make bootable backups, which means, if your internal HD fails, that you can start your machine from the external HD and use it as normal until you replace the failed internal HD

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks a million :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Um, even though running Onyx is a good idea from time to time (IF you notice any slow downs), it's not always a good idea to check every option off and automate it. For instance, system cache's and font caches are things your system might need to use often and if deleted will only slow things down the next time your system needs to use them.

Please read up/research what each of the things Onyx is doing and don't just clear every single thing just because some other people do it. It might not be to your benefit. It might actually make things worse (to start off with).

A little paranoia is ok, but you have to know where to draw the line and just relax a bit. I had a couple of issues like you do when I started using my first MacBook Pro, and with time came experience and I rarely if ever have those issues. now.

Please make sure to check for OS updates often and update when possible. I've also found it safer to download large combo updates directly from the Apple website rather than through system updater.

And as other's here preach:

BACKUP BEFORE YOU PACK UP. I personally don't back anything up because all of my critical data (music, movies, photos) is stored on external HD's and operates from those places. If anything severe ever happens to my HD or something crashes, I'm not afraid to re-install OS X.

But that's just ME. It's still backing up though, just in a different way.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
until you understand what all the features do, just use the basic automation tab once it has finished verifying your disk and checking the smart status.

Um, even though running Onyx is a good idea from time to time (IF you notice any slow downs), it's not always a good idea to check every option off and automate it. For instance, system cache's and font caches are things your system might need to use often and if deleted will only slow things down the next time your system needs to use them.

Please read up/research what each of the things Onyx is doing and don't just clear every single thing just because some other people do it. It might not be to your benefit. It might actually make things worse (to start off with).

Um Doug, you may notice similarities, and also, the automation tab doesn't have everything checked off, just what is good to run from time to time until you want to be specific about what it is that you want it to do.

As for slowing down the system, this will only happen the first time you run anything that has been cleaned up anyway, which is not of concern to anyone really, is it?

I think I was pretty clear in my post!

I'm not having a dig, other than the "um" at the beginning! LOL :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Or not to throw confusion into the post .. For the OP if you have a look at MainMenu.
It runs down the same line as Oynx and i personally think it does a better job and is a lot easier to use than Oynx.
The link is for the free version, ( i bought the full version as i was so impressed with it ) but once down loaded and you have it set up through Batch Task~configure, check off everything you see EXCEPT Spotlight Reindexing and Remove .DS_Store Files and you cant go wrong.
The execute batch tasks and sit back and wait..

Too easy IMO

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TattooedMac,
I agree, MainMenu's actually the one I use too (sorry OP).
I actually only use OnyX when I want to be more thorough.
The only reason I suggested Onyx was that the default settings of the automation tab meant that there would be less explaining on my behalf.
Soooo, thanks for adding that, as I shouldn't have been so lazy and should have mentioned it myself! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Um 6string......

Nuthin'.

:D

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Doug :D .... I needed that
Regards
Kane
;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.