Macbook runs with scissors

Reaction score
A friend brought me her Macbook and asked for help, she said she bought it around October of 2008.

Anyway, for whatever reason, she decided to reinstall the OS, which is OSX 10.5.2. She said she made it through the first install DVD just fine, but when she inserted the 2nd DVD, it looks like she's getting the Windows equivalent of the BSOD. When you restart it, this comes up almost immediately:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button." That's the foreground message, in the background, I can see what looks like a kernel panic. Here's some of it:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A8C8A): Kernel trap at 0x00000000, type 14=page fault, registers:

{a bunch of other crap I can post if you want it}

Debugger called: <panic>
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace {the rest is hidden behind the above message}
com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.1: Tue Feb 5 23:08:45 PS

So I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Do you have any thoughts on what's going on and why, and

2. How do I eject the DVD in case it's just bad? There is no OS, holding down the touch pad clicker and rebooting does nothing.

(edit)

Question number 2 has become the most important. If you have no complete OS loaded, how do you eject a disk?

Either way, thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Might be a bad DVD disk (number 2). In any case, the way to eject the DVD is reboot the machine while holding down the track pad button or mouse button. The disk should eject.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And your friend may have better luck with a full retail install DVD of Leopard, which comes on a single disc and is Dual Layered. If Disc 2 is an original install disc, give Apple a ring and request replacement discs. If available they will make a charge for it.

Always wise to make back up copies of operating systems and use duplicate discs for day to day work. Before anyone jumps on me this is perfectly legal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.