G4 Quicksilver 2002 dead DVDRW drive

Reaction score
Hi all,

First off, sorry for the e-novel. ;P

I brought a used G4 Quicksilver 2002 just before Xmas, which unknown to me had a dying DVDRW drive.

Basically, what was happening, was I'd put a disc (-R) into the drive, which would 99.99% of the time would make the whole G4 lock up and give me the multi-coloured beach ball icon on the screen and refuse to eject the disk, either from the eject key, or any other means (left MB, open firmware, terminal).
At this point, the drive could still read media, but it couldn't write (although, I have managed to write one CDR with it, about 2 weeks back).

Now, today I decide that I need to make a backup of my Tiger disc (I have an original, in immaculate condition, but don't want to get it scratched as the dvds are about as rare as rocking horse poop), so I stuck the DVD into the drive and nothing happened. :(
I opened System Profiler and it said no optical drive detected (or something similar) and the drive refused to eject the disc, even after a restart.

Anyways, long story short, I restarted the G4 and the drive showed in SP, but still refused to eject the disc. :( It took me seven attempts to get the DVD to eject and now, the drive won't read anything; it just makes a whirrr...clunk...whirrr noise, then spits the media back out.

The device in my G4 is a Pioneer 103 (Below is the blurb about the drive from SP)
Code:
PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-103:

Firmware Revision:	1.49
  Interconnect:	ATAPI
  Burn Support:	Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
  Cache:	2000 KB
  Reads DVD:	Yes
  CD-Write:	-R, -RW
  DVD-Write:	-R, -RW
  Burn Underrun Protection CD:	No
  Burn Underrun Protection DVD:	Yes
  Write Strategies:	CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
  Media:	No

Now, I've been told conflicting stories about replacing this drive and TBH I don't know who/what to believe, so I thought I'd ask you nice folks. :)

One person has said I need to get a Pioneer SuperDrive, because I'm using Tiger (10.4) and others have said I can use almost any DVDRW, as long as it's IDE/ATAPI.

BUT if I get a bog-standard IDE/ATAPI drive, will I be able to (1) use it to boot from my 10.4 media (The person who told me to get the SuperDrive said that other IDE drives wouldn't allow you to boot/install) and 2) Will I be able to use itunes/disk utility to burn CD/DVDs? Again the same person told me if I got an IDE drive, I'd need to buy Toast, as you can only burn from the Finder with Pioneers.

Many thanks.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes that will work nicely and all Pioneer drives are recognised as native. Only thing don't see is if the drive is Dual Layer (DL) burning capacity?

Here is how to replace the optical in a Quicksilver:-

eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/manuals/cdinstall/quicksilver72.pdf

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Yes that will work nicely and all Pioneer drives are recognised as native. Only thing don't see is if the drive is Dual Layer (DL) burning capacity?

Here is how to replace the optical in a Quicksilver:-

eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/manuals/cdinstall/quicksilver72.pdf
Hi Harry,

I had a look at the specs of that drive and from what I can see, it doesn't support DL, but to be honest, I don't think that would be much of an issue for me - I only really need -R/W capabilities at the moment. :)

Thanks for the PDF link. :) I already have that one, which I DL'd a couple of weeks back. :)

I've contacted the eBay seller I purchased the G4 off and he's offered to replace my drive with another 103, from another QS he has, so that's a bonus, for a short-term fix. :Cool: But I'll likely get this one from Amazon in a few weeks, in case the replacement turns out to be on its last legs, like the one I have already.

EDIT: I've just done a quick ebay search and found this so I may go with this one, instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Honestly, the 103 is history, give it a miss.

I had a Pioneer 105, wouldn't write to modern disk media, replaced it with a 112 and then added a 115, both external, daisy-chained with firewire, the setup works a treat.

I concur with Louishen and Harry, Pioneer is arguably the best for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Be careful Rottie!

When Pioneer drives are advertised as being for Macs of any version the price doubles. Do a general search of that model in the PC section of eBay and I am sure you will find one for half that price. They are all ATAPI and Macs recognise all Pioneer drives as native.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Honestly, the 103 is history, give it a miss.

I had a Pioneer 105, wouldn't write to modern disk media, replaced it with a 112 and then added a 115, both external, daisy-chained with firewire, the setup works a treat.

I concur with Louishen and Harry, Pioneer is arguably the best for Mac.
Hi Hugh,

Re: the 103 - I think I will take the seller up on his offer of a freebie replacement, just to keep me ticking over, so to speak, but like I said before, I'll order a new drive ASAP.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Be careful Rottie!

When Pioneer drives are advertised as being for Macs of any version the price doubles. Do a general search of that model in the PC section of eBay and I am sure you will find one for half that price. They are all ATAPI and Macs recognise all Pioneer drives as native.

Thanks for the words of advice, Harry. :) I did a search on "Pioneer dual layer DVDRW" on ebay and nothing came up, except a SATA drive - And the Apple advertised drive doesn't give a model number. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I think I will take the seller up on his offer of a freebie replacement

In which case, it can be used as a 'bare' external drive meantime. It's so easy to do with an ATA-USB adaptor, Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter -... (U2NV2SPATA) at OWC (there are probably cheaper, generic ones about) but the limitation is USB1. Whilst the adaptor is USB2, the Q'silver ports are USB1 only. Maybe a PCI USB2 card at some stage? Louishen's the man to ask about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes that is the go Rottie buy it and throw it in.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Whilst the adaptor is USB2, the Q'silver ports are USB1 only. Maybe a PCI USB2 card at some stage? Louishen's the man to ask about that.
I'm one step ahead of you there, Hugh. ;) I already have a Belkin 5 port USB 2.0 PCI card installed, from when I got my AIO printer, a couple of weeks ago. :Cool: linky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Them empty wallets are a dashed disgrace. Got three of the devils and all empty!

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
***UPDATE*** Drive arrived today and installed in <10 mins. :) So far, it likes all the media I've thrown at it - 16x TDK branded -R, Ritek 16x "White top" -R and even a "PC Line" (PC World's own brand) +R (said x8 on the spindle/cake box, but drive only went to x4) and a couple of Verbatim 48x CD-Rs. :D So far, 6 burns and zero coasters, so I'm a happy bunny. :D

Not bad for £17.99 delivered. :D

Thanks again for everyone's help/advice. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Told ya and well done Rottie!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.