cut files/folders? o.O?

Reaction score
ok i have been using windows since i was like 5 years old. (win 95) and well i seem to gotten quite used to CTRL+X -> CTRL+V for those who dont know...
CUT -> PASTE that it is text or folders or files or whole stacks of files i always use it and i use it all the time. since it's so **** eassy. it's not that you can loose data with it since the folder is only being removed after it is completely pasted

but after making a complete mess of the files in my macbook i'm now organazing my files again and trust me... that's always a lot of work for me ^^

but now i seem to be unable to actually cut a file? i mean WTH? aint this one of the most BASIC things a (cutting edge) OS should do? i mean do the guys at apple think we are to stupid to know what we are doing? it works on text... and if you forget to paste there your text is actually gone! (yes, also in windows)

Trust me i'm not trying to make my mac into a windows i have a windows pc and laptop for that ^^ but come'on... cut is BASIC functionality and works so much faster then: copy -> paste -> go back to folder -> delete file -> go to trash -> delete file again

i know i can just open 2 finders and drag and drop the files but that just doesnt work eassy -_-

so plz! annyone has a script or knows an application to enable cutting of files/folders?

(isnt there annyone else annoyed by this?)

Reaction score
Cut/Paste has never been part of OS X. It's one of the differences between OS X and Windows. You can buy a Finder enhancement like Pathfinder that has this functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel mini early 2011 4GB
The functionality is there if you use drag-n-drop instead of copy/paste.

Watch the mouse pointer while dragging; if there's a "+" the operation will be a copy, if not it will be a move. Press the cmd or option key in mid-drag to change from one to the other.

Yes, it's a kludge, and it annoys me too.

OP
M
Reaction score
Cut/Paste has never been part of OS X. It's one of the differences between OS X and Windows. You can buy a Finder enhancement like Pathfinder that has this functionality.

Thanks! pathfinder runs great <3

aditional question:

How do i remove finder from my dock? it's useless now ^^ and seems to be verry hard to delete :(

Reaction score
For finder removal info go to the Pathfinder forum... there's some info there.

I use dragthing as a launcher instead of the dock - it's worth a look/trial

The Official DragThing Home Page

( Top 10 Reasons the Apple Dock Sucks )

Coops

I just tried dragthing after you posted and it is very, very configurable. I played with it for quite some time and was about ready to quit using the Apple dock but there was a couple things that didnt work the way I like.

If I had an application already running (mail or firefox), I had to double click on the dock icon to get it to pop to the foreground instead of just single click. Yes, I'm that lazy.:Blushing:

Also, normally if I have a copy of firefox running in four different spaces, I can keep single clicking the firefox icon and it will "rifle" through them on-by-one. Of course I can bring up all the boxes and select which one I want but sometimes I like to just keep clicking the icon until I get the one I want. I like the variety of doing it two ways I guess.

I dont know how I got along without expose and spaces all these years.

Please let me know if there is something I'm missing 'cause I like dragthing otherwise.

Cheers

Edit: I figured out the "single-click" issue but the other one is unsolved as of yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.