iMac RAM downgrade - iMac won't start

Reaction score
Hi ...

... two imac 27" computers ... first with 2x2GRAM ... second with 2x1GRAM ... I have switch the RAM plates from one computer to another ... so I upgraded one from 2 to 4GRAM ... and I downgraded other one from 4 to 2GRAM ...

... the upgraded one works perfect ...
... the downgraded one wont even start ... ???

... please help

thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
different type of ram possibly

OP
M
Reaction score
but this type was on the upgraded one before ... and it all works well ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
maybe you have not seated it correctly or all the way

OP
M
Reaction score
I think it could be a problem in Mhz of RAM ... because one Imac is older than other ... we will see ...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does the upgraded iMac properly and fully report the 4GB of new memory? Usually RAM sticks need to be installed in matched pairs. So the downgraded iMac is most likely complaining about that..

Regards

Reaction score
Does the upgraded iMac properly and fully report the 4GB of new memory? Usually RAM sticks need to be installed in matched pairs. So the downgraded iMac is most likely complaining about that.. Regards

I agree with this as well. Being a certified Tech, we were told to NEVER mix memory simm brands and NEVER mix memory speeds either. Always keep the same (or nearest) speed as the factory memory simms. Keep them all the same - to avoid current and possible future problems. If wondering, I have mixed memory simms on my own machines. But, never done it on my customer's workstations.

Hope this helps as well...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.