Trackpad making my fingers raw?

Reaction score
i have the 13" macbook unibody and when i use it for an extended period of time my finger tips hurt. almost to where they feel numb. :Not-Amused:anyone else have this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WOW i havnt and i have some power user friends and they have never had this problem.

Have you tried a moisturiser of some sort to give your finger tips some care ??
How hard do you press on the track pad when your working ??
And how long is a extended period?
Have you thought about getting a BlueTooth or USB connected mouse to alleviate this problem you have ??

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It is always good to take a break at times.

Will help your fingertips and your eyes. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If you are working at a desk then try attaching a mouse to minimize the amount of time you are using the trackpad. As mentioned by Eric, having breaks is a good idea but I understand when you are busy and have deadlines to meet then it's not always practical.

The glass surface on the new MacBook Pros have reduced the friction for me compared to my PowerBook but if you are using the trackpad that much then it might a good idea to connect a mouse to it. That's what I do with my MBP. I mainly use the trackpad for finger gestures but for a lot of movement I just use the mouse. If a mouse isn't a good solution for you then the other option might be to use more keyboard shortcuts so the you don't have to use the trackpad as often.

Reaction score
Same issue

I got my Macbook Pro in August, and in December I started noticing my fingertips felt 'sensitive', like the skin had been shaved off of them. Kind of the sore feeling I get after pushing too hard on the strings on my guitar. Not sure if it is the material or excessive use....

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Umm it's glass...? Over usage. Switch over to a mouse or tablet and give your fingers a rest.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i have the 13" macbook unibody and when i use it for an extended period of time my finger tips hurt. almost to where they feel numb.

You need to get away from the computer...and toughen up those fingers "Slick"!;)

I would suggest go dig a ditch...without any gloves. After that...you won't have any problem with your finger tips when using the trackpad!:)

- Nick

p.s. But more seriously. You may be resting your palm on the edge of the MacBook cutting off blood circulation to your hand (causing your hand to "fall asleep" or go partially numb)...or pinching a nerve in some way. Lift your hand every so often & flex your wrist, hands, and fingers to get the blood flowing.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I got my Macbook Pro in August, and in December I started noticing my fingertips felt 'sensitive', like the skin had been shaved off of them. Kind of the sore feeling I get after pushing too hard on the strings on my guitar. Not sure if it is the material or excessive use....

I suggest playing more guitar and spending less time on the computer.... this will toughen up your fingertips and improve your playing :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I just cant believe this thread would ever show its face again .. Hmmm

Well there you go :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm glad it did so I could put in my bit!
I wanna start a thread, ....My Mac is working just fine, so what can I complain about?:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HAHA how funny.
Well you got your $0.02 in :)
Dont know .. If you want your own thread, scowl through the web and look for sinister  rumours ...... lol ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL ..... don't tempt me.
Maybe we can hijack this thread, and talk about how I've heard that Microsoft is buying Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe we can hijack this thread, and talk about how I've heard that Microsoft is buying Apple?

Now do tell O:)
lol

OP
J
Reaction score
i don't spend that much time on the computer but i guess this track pad kinda spoiled me. you can do everything with the 2,3 and 4 finger gestures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 max (16-inch, 2021) & 2016 iPad Pro

Old news!

I bought Apple 5 yrs ago.

Bill Gates

;D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
i don't spend that much time on the computer but i guess this track pad kinda spoiled me. you can do everything with the 2,3 and 4 finger gestures.
I know what you are talking about. With the amount of gestures we can do on the new trackpads I also find that I use the trackpad more often too. Try pressing lighter on the trackpad. You don't need that much force to move around on the trackpad.

Also if you have sweaty hands then try drying them off every few minutes with a cloth. Sweaty hands is nature's way of giving us better grip unless you have super sweaty hands. With that much sweat you create your own lubricant. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
When I use track pad on other laptops, the pad gets greasy from my fingers. The sensitivity gets diminished. I don't have that problem with my MBP track pad. Not sure why but it's great.

K

kateharp

Did you ever find an answer for this? I have the same problem.

thx. I've had this problem for a year-very frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
thx. I've had this problem for a year-very frustrating.

For a year? If your fingers aren't bleeding by now, I'd say you're probably going to be just fine!

Probably would've been better to start a new thread as well, seeing as this one is almost 2 years old...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
I have the 2008 MPB and if i use the track pad for long periods of time i absolutely get that problem with he tips of my fingers! I never said anything because I thought i was the only weirdo to actually had this happen lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.