Trackpad making my fingers raw?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
I don't have a problem with the track pad, however, i do find the "sharp" corner of the uni body a nuisance, particularly when using the track pad, i sometimes feel like using some emery paper to round off the sharp corner !!!!!

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have had 2 MBP's and never experienced this how hard are you pressing down on the surface ?

Reaction score
I've been using trackpads for over 11 years, all of which have been Apple products. Of the three laptops I currently use, all have mice available to them. If I'm doing something requiring lots of movement, I'll plug the mice in. When I first got my iBook, I used the mouse more than the trackpad. In fact, I took it with me when I traveled with the computer. This allowed for me to transition to the trackpad whenever I felt comfortable, building up my fingers in the process. Nowadays, I don't use the mice much, but they do get plugged in if I'm going to be doing a major project (like an iMovie).

I tend to go back to my Apple II roots quite often with computers. I use arrow keys to navigate webpages and utilize keyboard shortcuts whenever possible. I think this, combined with my mouse tendencies, takes a strain off the fingers. I've never had a problem with sore fingers, and I think varying the input device is key here.

Osxx mentions pressing down hard. I just run my finger over it and barely touch it whenever I need to click. It's almost effortless on the newest trackpads, and even with older, mechanical button trackpads, you don't need much force at all.

Reaction score
My fingers hurt too!!!!

I am so glad to see this because now I know I'm not the only person!!! I have used a laptop (not an Apple) with a track pad for at least 15 years and I've never had a problem in the least bit.

A year ago, I switched to a Macbook Pro 13". I was loving the switch, but a few days ago the fingers I use on the trackpad began hurting so bad. This morning, it was so unbearable--I couldn't stand to even touch the trackpad at all and my fingers were hurting when I wasn't even on my computer at all. I had to leave work to go buy a mouse. I haven't used a mouse since elementary school (I went to a middle school where we had to have laptops) and I hate it!

Since this never was a problem for me before, this has me thinking it is a Mac issue. Maybe more electric current or something in the Mac trackpad??? I don't know but I hope if I use the mouse for a bit then my fingers will heal. Is there anything I can do to avoid this happening again???? If not then I regret switching to the Mac entirely. One of the joys of a laptop is not having to deal with a mouse.

Reaction score
I have looked for information on this Mac issue, and I haven't found much. I bought a used MacBook a few months ago. Within a week, I began to feel a slight burning sensation at the tip of my pointer finger and thumb. After another few weeks, the skin became dry and started to crack. My thumb pad has been rough and cracked and dry for more than a few weeks. The only cure I could find was to put a Band Aid over my thumb. The dried out skin began to heal. But I expect it to return if I use the track pad without something over my thumb.

It is my opinion that my finger is having some sort of reaction to a material used for the track pad and the clicker.

Reaction score
Must be that new Chinese chemical they are using! :^)

But seriously, the new trackpad surface is glass, can't see why. U people are not using the trackpad like a piece of sand paper do you? Ur suppose to glide over it, no dead grips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have noticed that happens to me when i am using my iBook G4 I havent noticed it with my macbooks or macbook pros. Try and use a mouse when you can. The magic mouse is great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

Did you notice that this thread is over 8 years old? (The time is in the bar above the post and the one just before you was Sep 3, 2012.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Post was removed. No ad links allowed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
I don’t have that problem at all and I use the computer at least 8-10 hours a day, lately I have been using my iPad more, course I do not have much feeling in the fingertips from years of doing automotive towing and never wearing gloves in any weather at all especially cold weather, I’m lucky to wear a coat most times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.