BEST program to hide certain folder,EVEN from finder.

Reaction score
I need something simple and easy to use. Put the folder in the app lock it and not worry about wondering eyes coming across it. EVEN if using finder or any search.

Thoughts?
Thanks
ILMM

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Are you sharing this computer with someone else or something?

Reaction score
www.truecrypt.org...use the program to create an encrypted volume with an unassuming name. Finder will still see it as a single file (unless you create a hidden volume) but it's only accessible when you mount it through the software with your password. Try it, it's free and easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
I need something simple and easy to use. Put the folder in the app lock it and not worry about wondering eyes coming across it. EVEN if using finder or any search.

Thoughts?
Thanks
ILMM
The "Exces" encryption software works almost exactly as you've described:

Exces

OP
I
Reaction score
Are you sharing this computer with someone else or something?
No,sometimes people use my computer for random task but the fact that if you clock "pictures" it find EVERY pic/movie in the computer is very very bad.
Not to toot my horn but being 20 and somewhat of a lady's man, I have some things I need protected lol.

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux...use the program to create an encrypted volume with an unassuming name. Finder will still see it as a single file (unless you create a hidden volume) but it's only accessible when you mount it through the software with your password. Try it, it's free and easy.
Once again the whole process is to (imo) not needed when you have what the guy under me recommended.
The "Exces" encryption software works almost exactly as you've described:

Exces
Works PERFECT.Thanks,looks like a keeper. Doesnt look like finder will search in it also.

Reaction score
WinZip is my friend when it comes to keeping things hidden, just name it some weird file like e.g TempFile458.zip (or other mac file) and then just preview/unzip and delete when finished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
No,sometimes people use my computer for random task but the fact that if you clock "pictures" it find EVERY pic/movie in the computer is very very bad.

Other people should be using the Guest account, not yours.

It's much easier to just switch over to Guest than to constantly lock up and then unlock every file you use every time you need to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Not to toot my horn but being 20 and somewhat of a lady's man, I have some things I need protected lol.

HAHA! Tiger Woods, y'all! :D

OP
I
Reaction score
Lol thanks guys. And yes,People more than likely use my temp guest account but sometimes its beyond my control when a sibling or a parent gets their hands on my computer. Plus in fairness to everyone, I rather MAKE sure that some items can't be viewed at all. You never know who might get their fingers on your computer..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you really want your stuff protected, you'll have to take the time to learn how to create an encrypted disk image, which isn't even that hard. And what's so difficult about letting others use a guest account? You don't even have to log out when you're not using it. Just activate a screen corner to go to screensaver or put the display to sleep and when anyone tries to use it, it will take them to a login window.

OP
I
Reaction score
If you really want your stuff protected, you'll have to take the time to learn how to create an encrypted disk image, which isn't even that hard. And what's so difficult about letting others use a guest account? You don't even have to log out when you're not using it. Just activate a screen corner to go to screensaver or put the display to sleep and when anyone tries to use it, it will take them to a login window.

Wait what? please explain that to me again. Right now I have it so if the screensaver is on for so long it requires a password to log back in. Only way I know how to switch accounts is by logging of mine and getting on the guest.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you look at the box where you enter your password, there's also a button labeled "Switch User" which will bring up the LogIn window. So all you have to do is make one corner of your screen activate the screensaver. (You can make all four corners do different things just by moving the mouse pointer over each one. You do this in System Preferences under Expose and Spaces.) So when you step away from your computer, you move the mouse pointer far into a corner, the screensaver comes up and then if anyone else tries to use it, the password screen comes up. If someone doesn't have your password, they'll have to choice but to click "Switch User" which will take then to the login screen.

So you don't have to do very much, it takes no time at all to log out securely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.