Advice on old MBP vs New

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"
Hi all!

I have a 15" MPB, the first Core2duo one, which is starting to have quite a few problems so I'm thinking of selling it while I can and upgrading to a new one, my question is performance-wise how much noticeable difference is there with the new ones and also do the new ones have quieter fans? It's never taken much to get my fans to kick in, most of the time I only have to be watching a video and they get noisy. Apple always told me this was normal though.

Thanks in advance!
Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 15" MPB, the first Core2duo one, which is starting to have quite a few problems so I'm thinking of selling it while I can and upgrading to a new one, my question is performance-wise how much noticeable difference is there with the new ones and also do the new ones have quieter fans?

Simon,

If you're having so many problems with your current MBP...does it really matter how much of a performance difference a new MBP will have?

In any case your current MBP has a 2.33ghz CPU...and new MBP's have CPU's speeds of 2.53, 2.66, and 2.80ghz. In my opinion, you will probably see a slight increase in CPU performance (with the faster CPU options)...but the biggest performance increase you will probably see would be with video & graphics performance...since newer MBP's have much better graphics hardware.

But to be totally honest...if you don't have any serious graphics or video performance issues...and if you weren't having any problems with your current MBP...I would stick with what you have! I would hate to see you spend a bunch of money unnecessarily.

I have a 2.33ghz 17" MBP (same vintage as yours)...and I have absolutely no complaints!:)

This is just my humble opinion of course. Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
How about setting up a New User and test one of your problematic videos in that user to see if you get less CPU action and less fans. Make sure your 3rd party vid apps are the latest version as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.