Can I use more than one Imac for surround sound via bluetooth

Reaction score
Hi guys, i know this may sound strange but I have two 24" Imacs, one 20" imac and a Mac Pro.

Sometime out of work hours i get bored so like to play music whilst doing some admin and tidying up work and got wondering how awesome it would be to have surround sound in my studio only to realise that there may be a possibility i could use the other macs for their speakers only making a bluetooth environment.

As silly as it may sound do you guys think this would be possible since the machines are all Bluetooth

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not sure Bluetooth will work since it tends to want to pair with one device in most situations rather than groups of devices. You might want to give Soundflower - Cycling 74 a try. I currently use it to pass audio from one of my Macs to another Mac on the network. Haven't tried it with more machines than that but it probably works.

The version that I have has two small applications: Soundfly sender and Soundfly receiver. Once installed open the sender application on the Mac that will play the music/sound. Open the receiver application on the other Macs. I think I may have an older version but it should work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hey matey thanks for the reply.

so basically what your saying is that you are able to do it though have tried between two macs only?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now the sound goes from one Mac to the other with no problem but it does not play on the Mac that is acting as the sender. I suspect that is because it needs the sound output set to Soundflower rather than the speakers. It should work though I hadn't thought to try it. I'll have to add it to my dying iBook to see if it works.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't had a chance to test yet. The other Mac is apparently having some issues joining my network at the moment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.