Creak when opening closing MacBook Pro 2009

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my macbook pro for about 4 months now (Brought brand new) however the screen when opening and closing creaks, and sound kinda like a very quick crack sound.

The screen is stable - i.e it doesn't fall down and stays closed etc, its only if i bring it so far open from close that it creaks.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I don't have the Apple Care product but as I haven't had it for long, I wonder if this is still covered by Apple or not? Or if you can offer some fixes?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
From my understanding, the creaking hinge is a common occurrence with the MacBook Pro. I've had mine for just over two weeks, and it started creaking about a week after I bought it. It's not loud enough to bother me though, and I don't actually notice it unless I'm in a very quiet room.
Not sure if there's a good fix for this issue, but you're far from alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I actually have the same problem too(I think). It happens when I open/close the screen, and when I do, there are 2 to 3 small creaking noises that you can just barely hear(only heard in my quite room, everywhere else, it's impossible). I thought it was bad at first, but then I went and opened up all the other laptops we have and OH MY GOD...it felt like opening an old box with rusted hinges! Now when I open and hear my mbp, it sounds like a little sleeping baby! It's definitely not worth taking it to apple for them to open it, that's for sure!

ohoh...that was my 666th message! AHHH!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
S
Reaction score
I actually have the same problem too(I think). It happens when I open/close the screen, and when I do, there are 2 to 3 small creaking noises that you can just barely hear(only heard in my quite room, everywhere else, it's impossible). I thought it was bad at first, but then I went and opened up all the other laptops we have and OH MY GOD...it felt like opening an old box with rusted hinges! Now when I open and hear my mbp, it sounds like a little sleeping baby! It's definitely not worth taking it to apple for them to open it, that's for sure!

ohoh...that was my 666th message! AHHH!!

I spoke to a friend of mine who said that opening and closing the lid a few times in quick sucession may help as the hinges are suppose to be self lubricating so this will help.

And in all honesty it has! Thanks for the replies though!

Reaction score
I have a late 2009 MBP and I too have the creaking. I thought I was just being fussy. It's just not what we've come to expect, creaking, from a Mac!
Anyway mine is coming from the plastic cover that runs across the back of the machine that covers up the hinges.
I do not believe it is the hinges themselves, this is the only plastic part and if you push on it or give it a gentle squeeze you can reproduce the creaking noise.
I'm betting if they changed these for metal covers then the issue would go away.
I know this might be seen as trivial but Apple set the bar high for build quality and I think this should be looked into and resolved, my 2007 MBP never creaked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.