Applications refuse to change Icons

Reaction score
Hi,

When I try to change my icons by copy and pasting a .icns file into the top left of the get info bit, all that happens is it displays a default generic .icns icon and it's getting really annoying. I've also tried going into Package Contents, Resources and putting the new .icns file here.

I just have no idea why this is happening. I'm on Leopard 10.5 on a PPC G5 iMac.

Thanks,

Jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I think you're doing it wrong. Select the icon you want by clicking on an existing file that already displays that icon. Choose Get Info. Select the little top left icon in the Get Info window. Then go to Edit and Copy. Now click on the file that you want to change. Go to Get Info and Select its little top left icon. Finally, go to Edit and Paste to stamp the new icon on that file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 5.1 (2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 running Mac OS X 10.6.3)
In addition to what VegasGeorge has said, you might invest the $30USD in an application called CandyBar, if you are able. CandyBar makes changing icons a breeze as well as reverting back to stock. If you can't afford CandyBar, then LiteIcon is alright, though it has way less options than CB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.