What are your thoughts on MobileMe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I've been looking at MobileMe and was wondering what everyone on the board thought about the service. I did run a search for other threads on this forum but most of them are from a couple of years ago.

I had pretty much dismissed MobileMe at first because you can do pretty much the same thing with GoogleSync and dropbox. Thing is, that whole "find/wipe my iPhone feature" is pretty tempting.

Is there anything in the "app store" that would be similar to the find my phone features on mobile me? Well...I know there are, I guess I mean are there any decent ones.

Is there something else MobileMe offers that I've overlooked that makes it all worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I use MobileMe. Here's why:
1. It's an Apple service and being a Mac fan boy, I sort of have too :);
2. I use iWeb for my personal website and it integrates smoothly;
3. I LOVE having the iDisk right there on my Finder Device list. No more FTP for me! You can treat all your online folders just like folders on your own Mac;
4. It works perfectly with Backup for off site storage;
5. It syncs the data on my Macs without me ever having to think about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
I guess the question you have to ask yourself is what do you want? I use MobileMe and really appreciate its ability to sync my Mail, Address Book, Calendar, etc. I save my documents file to it periodically as a JIC measure (if both my Mac and TimeMachine were to evaporate for some reason). If I get another Mac or do a "scrape and pave" on one I have I can be back up and running in no time. I also enjoy having an @me.com e-mail address.

On the flip-side I find it clunky and unlike most Apple programs, unintuitive to use. My iTunes and iPhoto libraries are too large to back up on MobileMe unless I pay extra. Compared to other backup services MobileMe can be expensive.

Besides the paid backup services there are free alternatives like Google Sync. Here are a couple of good articles about MobileMe and some alternatives:

MobileMe: What you need to know | Web Services | Macworld

Alternatives to MobileMe | Mobile Mac | Mobile Mac | Macworld

Free MobileMe Alternative: How to Set Up Google Sync for Mac and iPhone

So it really depends on what you want to do. Hope that helps a little and let us know what you end up doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
I've used MobileMe for 3 years now. I love it, Pushing my contacts mail and idisk is great,I think one of the most useful features is find my iphone. For only 100$ you get the 1o gigs of storage, the website, Although i dont think you can get a @mac.com anymore....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I like MobileMe very much for it's ease in syncing multiple Macs and my iPhone. One concern I have is that Apple seems to update it with no warning, so there are times when it is down and I don't know why. More than once I have needlessly restored my iPhone or rebuilt my Calendars from scratch, only to find out later that there was a MobileMe upgrade going on and my devices were fine. That's time lost which I could have avoided had Apple sent out a simple email to subscribers saying the system would be having maintenance performed. Otherwise, it does what they advertise it to do very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've used MobileMe for 3 years now. I love it, Pushing my contacts mail and idisk is great,I think one of the most useful features is find my iphone. For only 100$ you get the 1o gigs of storage, the website, Although i dont think you can get a @mac.com anymore....

Agreed. I love the ability to sync everything between my 2 Macs and my iPhone, especially iCal events and Bookmarks. You can still use a mac.com address if you had one before they changed, otherwise you are tuck with me.com. I've been a subscriber for about the same length of time and plan on continuing to subscribe for the foreseeable future.

Reaction score
The syncing is why I got it -- keeps all the macs and iphones sync'd up with calendar, contacts and mail with zero effort on my part. The rest of the features are so-so . . . there are much better web publishing services and online storage. The Find My iPhone is great, and AT&T wants I think $10/mth just for that.

I do wish you could use your own domain for mail, etc., at MobileMe and use their IMAP email. Ultimately, with 3 macs and 3 iphones in the house, it was worth the money just to have syncing. I tried several of the syncing alternatives, and all were clunky, unreliable, and took a lot of user effort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
You know...I tried the try me free when I got my Mac and while it was kinda cool i didnt bother to subscribe. I just dont really need to be able to sync my contacts or ical in the middle of the day. I undestand why others need and use it but I guess this Nebraska boy just isnt that important !;D I just sync my iphone every night ( always need a new playlist for tomorrow) , dont lose my phone and spent the 100 bucks on Budwieser!

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My start was dot mac 5 or 6 years ago and in that time i have moved ISP 4 times, that is the first plus, then initially allowed friends overseas to see photo collection before there was the amount of choice that is out there now for on line personal photo collections. Now like others find the synch scene is a bonus. In the end it has to work for you.

Reaction score
I tried the free trial a few months ago but canceled before the trial was over. While the concept was great, I couldn't justify spending $100 a year on it. Two weeks after I canceled, I inadvertently deleted all of my contacts on my iphone when I synced with itunes. Oh how I wish I had MobileMe! Luckily I had only made a few changes to my contacts in that 2 week period so my address book was pretty up to date. Had to sync that with Google first and then was able to restore everything on my iphone. I'm looking into getting the family "pack" from Amazon or Ebay and sharing it with a few friends. $20-$25 a year I can live with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 10.5.6 8GB DDR SDRAM
I'm using it now, and have since it started up. I love it to sync my work mac, home mac, and iPhone. I probably would not use it if it were not for my business. 99% of the time I am completely satisfied with the features and reliability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
djgulia;996429 I couldn't justify spending $100 a year on it. [/QUOTE said:
You do realize that $100/year is only $8.33/month, right? It seems like a lot up front, but it's really not. Then again, it's all relative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use MobileMe. Here's why:
1. It's an Apple service and being a Mac fan boy, I sort of have too :);
2. I use iWeb for my personal website and it integrates smoothly;
3. I LOVE having the iDisk right there on my Finder Device list. No more FTP for me! You can treat all your online folders just like folders on your own Mac;
4. It works perfectly with Backup for off site storage;
5. It syncs the data on my Macs without me ever having to think about it.

Reasons 3,4,5 and remote wipe for my iPhone won me over. I have had it for
over 2yrs now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.