Hmm...Virgin Media UK?

Reaction score
Okay, so,
For a long time now i've been with Sky Broadband and quite frankly, i've had enough of them. I'm on the lowest of the low service (they don't even display it as one of their deals on the website) and between 5pm-12 i have a speed of about 0.3Mb. Now, whilst I understand that no connection is always as fast as the deal i don't really expect to pay a lot for this connection. Anyhow, i've been investigating and despite the fact that I'm in a crappy area for broadband, Virgin are able to provide me any service i like, including the fibre optic. I've decided to go for the 20Mb package as long as i think the connection's worth it. I'm purchasing my new 2.66 quad-core iMac week after next and i shall be playing WoW on it amongst other things and I'll be using an ethernet cable from the virgin router to my iMac. So the question is, what are people's personal experiences with VM Broadband? any input will be greatly appreciated, Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi. Well I have that service, and it's very good and reliable, BUT, if you are a heavy user they will cap your speed at certain times of day (read the contract and it tells you when).
Usually you get capped to about 15K.
I would have been tempted to stay with Sky and get their top package, which is truly unlimited, but if they couldn't provide it in your area you couldn't do that.
Virgin seem pretty good though, they gave me a new wireless N router on request, you get 50 free photo prints every month, and they are good quality too, so you can't go far wrong.
If you are just playing WOW, and not downloading/uploading tons of stuff, you should stay unrestricted, so I think you'll be happy.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your valuable input. I rarely download and when i do its such miniscule amounts that it wouldn't amount to anything significant. As for what i use my broadband for it's literally WoW and surfing the web so as you say, it should be perfect. Would i need to request the wireless N router? or should it come as standard when i purchase the package if you're aware?

Again, Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It should come as standard. I only asked because I upgraded, and my router was old.
You will be fine with no downloading too. Make sure you sign up to the website to get your free photo's and other stuff, well worth it. The details will be in your welcome pack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.