Connecting MacBook Pro to LCD HDTV

Reaction score
I am connecting my MacBook Pro to my LCD HDTV. The video is OK but I can't make the sound to work.

I have a MacBook Pro, bought on 2008 (the older model): Mac OS X V10.5.8, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. My TV is an HITACHI LCD 42" L42S503.

For the video connection I am using a DVI to HDMI cable, and it works OK. For the audio I am connecting the Mac headphone jack to the RCA red and white plugs, but the TV is silent... I can see on the Mac sound preferences that it recognizes the audio connection.

I'm not sure whether there is a solution to this problem, and whether I should try the RGB connection...

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

Avi

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unfortunately, that Hitachi does not have any audio inputs that will work in conjunction with HDMI. With any DVI source, you will need to connect the audio to a separate audio receiver.

No separate audio and want sound through the TV, you'll have to switch over to using VGA on that model. Pg 53 of the owners manual, you'll find a chart of the accepted resolutions via VGA.

Reaction score
Macbook 2007 to TV

Hi,

I am having a problem attaching my Macbook to my TV. I have purchased a DVI - to VGA adaptor, and a VGA to VGA cable. I also have the cable for sound.

The problem is that my computer recognizes the TV and allows me to turn on mirroring but the TV does not recognize the signal - I literally get the "No Signal" message when I choose the VGA input on the computer.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I am connecting my MacBook Pro to my LCD HDTV. The video is OK but I can't make the sound to work.

I have a MacBook Pro, bought on 2008 (the older model): Mac OS X V10.5.8, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. My TV is an HITACHI LCD 42" L42S503.

For the video connection I am using a DVI to HDMI cable, and it works OK. For the audio I am connecting the Mac headphone jack to the RCA red and white plugs, but the TV is silent... I can see on the Mac sound preferences that it recognizes the audio connection.

I'm not sure whether there is a solution to this problem, and whether I should try the RGB connection...

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

Avi
You need to use a connection on the TV that allows you to use a separate audio source.
Does your TV have a DVI or VGA connection?

A good receiver will let you connect a HDMI w/ a separate audio signal, but then the sound would go out of the receiver .

Hi,

I am having a problem attaching my Macbook to my TV. I have purchased a DVI - to VGA adaptor, and a VGA to VGA cable. I also have the cable for sound.

The problem is that my computer recognizes the TV and allows me to turn on mirroring but the TV does not recognize the signal - I literally get the "No Signal" message when I choose the VGA input on the computer.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Try changing your resolutions around and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Help

I've tried every possible combination of resolution with no effects. The TV still shows the "No Signal" message. It gives the same message when I take the VGA cable out of the back of the TV.

It's like its a faulty cable, but if it was faulty then the computer wouldn't recognize the TV, right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't use the VGA input on the TV. You didn't mention brand of TV but you did say it was a HDTV. Try to use its DVI input or HDMI instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.