OS X 10.5 PowerPC Broken DVD Drive How?

Reaction score
Hi guys, well after having os x 10.4 for ages, I have decided to upgrade because support fr it is going down the tube I'd say. Now I suffer from a broken drive, so installing from the DVD as usual is not an option :( And before you say go buy an external, let me finish by listing what I got to work with:

iMac G5:
Os x Tiger, latest updates
Broken CD/DVD drive

Core Duo Intel iMac:
Os x Leopard
Working CD/DVD drive

Vista Laptop.

XP PC.

External HDDs. Would hate to format, but can if needed

So before I copy all my data, and dare to try and get Leopard on my G5 without buying an external DVD drive, is it possible to just use the other intel imacs working drive to install on the G5? any other better methods also welcome.

p.s I haven't got a firewire!

Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it's possible. Use the target disk mode capability that's available. See the following Apple KB article on how to do it. LINK

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Your PS pretty much answers your own question :|. How difficult is it to order a firewire cable? It won't be a wasted expense.

If you want your G5 iMac to be at its peak, then open it up and replace the internal optical drive with an updated model [see YouTube for demo videos]. If that's not a feasible option for you, then your thought about an external drive gathers weight.

One further thing might be to try networking the two computers via a router or hub. How one goes about installing from one computer to the other using that method I shall leave others to answer.

OP
T
Reaction score
One further thing might be to try networking the two computers via a router or hub. How one goes about installing from one computer to the other using that method I shall leave others to answer.

Yeah that would be ideal, I m a long way out of town and mail gets lost often on the way here from amazon for example, I was hoping there was a way I could just do right away with what I got, thanks anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I was hoping there was a way I could just do right away with what I got.
Well maybe there is, see the PM I've sent to you.

Firewire cable - depending on your country of residence, try ordering from OWC, Superwarehouse or Radio Shack. Shame about mail going missing.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well maybe there is, see the PM I've sent to you.

Firewire cable - depending on your country of residence, try ordering from OWC, Superwarehouse or Radio Shack. Shame about mail going missing.

Thank you very much! I shall try your suggested method and hope for the best :) If it doesn't work, well I'll just have to wait to go into town to buy the cable :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.