Internet sharing.... Sending message computer to computer?

Reaction score
I am currently using my laptop hardlined to my modem, and have my husband connected wireless through my airport. So he is connected to my computer, basically using it as a router.
Is there a way for me to send him a message or anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Google 'instant messaging'. You'll find a ton of free options. AIM, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, etc...

OP
J
Reaction score
I know about IM servicing. I am talking about computer to computer network messaging. Like through my network without third party software. I know you can do it in windows, so I just need to find out how to with mac. Thanks tho! :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I just tried this on my home network and the following procedure should work. On both computers launch iChat and open its preferences. Go to the accounts section and click the Bonjour option and check the box marked "Enable this account".

When you are ready to send your husband a message double click his screen name. This should bring up a message window for you to send a message. Should work for audio messages as well if mics are attached to your computers but I have not tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Jane - check out the rules - double posting is a no - no.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought I answered this a few minutes ago but I guess not. Lets try again shall we? I tested the following on my home network and it seems to work for me. If it doesn't there is likely a firewall issue that needs to be resolved.

On both computers Launch iChat and go to iChat's preferences. Click on the "Accounts" section. In the left side of the window make sure Bonjour is checked. Also make sure that the "Enable this account option is checked. It probably wouldn't hurt to set up a completely different iChat screen name first that way you don't accidentally send the message through the regular messaging servers.

Now that the setup is done double click your husband's screen name to bring up a message window. Compose and send the message as usual. iChat has a quick overview in its help files if you type something like Bonjour messaging.

@Colin: Thanks. your message must have posted while I was typing. That explains why I thought I had answered it. For a minute I thought I was completely batty all of a sudden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I thought I answered this a few minutes ago but I guess not. Lets try again shall we? I tested the following on my home network and it seems to work for me. If it doesn't there is likely a firewall issue that needs to be resolved.

On both computers Launch iChat and go to iChat's preferences. Click on the "Accounts" section. In the left side of the window make sure Bonjour is checked. Also make sure that the "Enable this account option is checked. It probably wouldn't hurt to set up a completely different iChat screen name first that way you don't accidentally send the message through the regular messaging servers.

Now that the setup is done double click your husband's screen name to bring up a message window. Compose and send the message as usual. iChat has a quick overview in its help files if you type something like Bonjour messaging.

You did...it was double posted.

Clay

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for catching that. I forgot that I have iChat already set to display that list. Didn't think ti mention it.

OP
J
Reaction score
I thought I answered this a few minutes ago but I guess not. Lets try again shall we?

You did answer it, but i posted this at 8:15 and you posted in the other thread at around 9:00. So its not like I posted after your post. So, I guess I hve to try again.
This post was supposed to include the fact that I wanted to do this without a messaging service at all.
Im more wanting to send like a pop up message to him, like an alert. Not with a messaging service. Thanks for all the input guys/gals! :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. I was just really confused there for a bit. I was watching football at the same time so I just chalked it up to that. lol

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think Bonjour messaging through iChat does avoid using any other messaging service. In this mode messages only go to other users on your network so there shouldn't be a need for any outside services

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And exactly why Crossposting is not an accepted action in forums.
All it does is create confusion amongst those attempting to help.
It does not necessarily cause a response any sooner as evidenced by the first response still occurring in the first thread.
Additional info should be added in the existing thread, not by starting a new one.

Thanks,

Duplicate threads merged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.