help with internet

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum don't know if im in the right place
my problem is ,

I have two computers connected on my BT Broadband upstairs is my APPLE computer downstairs in the livingroom is my Moms PC running on XP both were running fine till yesterday eve , the Pc's connection is ok speed fine
The problem is with my imac with snow leapord it was fine all of a sudden no connection . I Decided to to go through all sort of checks including restarting the router from BT .That seemed to solve some of my problems sometimes I am connected for a while but very slow 1meg instead of the usual 5-6mg i know i shoud get 8mg
as i said before my moms PC is fine.
any help would be great
THANKS
CADDYSHACK

Reaction score

If you surf your ISP's Support pages, they may have online "updated" instructions to configure their Modem/Router. If using an ISP and different company modem/gateway box, surf the modem/gateway box site as well. They may have updated patches or update configurations on their Web Site (under their config / support pages) as well.

If wondering, I've been networking my home machines for many years. Out of the blue, my one workstation's connection become unstable. I tried this, I tried that and still, it was unstable. For "heck of it", I surfed my ISP's Support pages and to my surprise, they had updated their original settings page. One of those "bug fixes" they don't openly advertise. Today, no more access problems.

This tip might work for your setup as well....

Reaction score

Just found the below on a different Mac forum.

"Just spoke with Apple - If you are using a 2Wire wireless connection with your Apple, you need to change the wireless network security to wpa2-psk in the 2Wire. It's an Apple security issue."

As a suggestion, try this change in your wireless modem/router (even if not a 2wire brand). It might solve your Mac wireless problems as well...

Hope this helps...

Reaction score
A few months back, I installed a "cool looking" Add-On and afterwards, my workstation started acting funny. Did some research and discovered one of the Add-Ons was "pulling my network access down".

If you can, run your brower "without" add-ons. If problem goes away, you found the area of the problem. Start disabling each add-on - until problem goes away...

See below cut/paste for more details....

----------

How do browser add-ons affect my browsing experience?

Add-ons, also known as ActiveX controls, browser extensions, browser helper objects or toolbars, can improve your experience on a website by enabling content such as high-quality animations. However, some add-ons can also malfunction or display content that you don’t want, such as pop-up ads.

When an add-on, such as a toolbar, is installed on your computer, it becomes part of your browser and operating system. In some cases these programs might contain spyware. In the worst case, a malfunctioning add-on might affect the performance of your computer or cause problems accessing the Internet.

Hope this helps as well....

OP
C
Reaction score

Just found the below on a different Mac forum.

"Just spoke with Apple - If you are using a 2Wire wireless connection with your Apple, you need to change the wireless network security to wpa2-psk in the 2Wire. It's an Apple security issue."

As a suggestion, try this change in your wireless modem/router (even if not a 2wire brand). It might solve your Mac wireless problems as well...

Hope this helps...

thanks for doing that

OP
C
Reaction score
Like I said i would update you to what happens it is now working BT done it dont ask what they did!
caddyshack

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.