Use additional laptop as second monitor - possible?

Reaction score
There's a Windows product called MaxiVista that lets you use an additional laptop as an external monitor, no cables required. I can run Windows 7 from a MacBook Pro and use my Toshiba running Vista as a second monitor. Very handy for Visual Studio if you happen to have 2 notebooks.

Is there an equivalent app that lets you do this with your MacBook Pro?

And probably less likely, is there an app that lets you do this from OS X to Windows?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might want to give home a try. I used it for a while with my Mac Pro and an ancient iBookSE as a second screen. The ibook was accessing my home network wirelessly. It was a bit slow but doable since I was only using the second screen for Photoshop palates etc. As I recall the documentation explains how to use a PC as the second screen. I think it essentially involves setting up a VNC client on the PC.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You might want to give home a try. I used it for a while with my Mac Pro and an ancient iBookSE as a second screen. The ibook was accessing my home network wirelessly. It was a bit slow but doable since I was only using the second screen for Photoshop palates etc. As I recall the documentation explains how to use a PC as the second screen. I think it essentially involves setting up a VNC client on the PC.

Thanks a ton for the link. I hadn't heard of this program for the Mac!

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks. This looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully it'll work. Cheaper than the Windows app too.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome guys. I eventually deleted the program and haven't used it in a while. It was a bit slow on my iBook SE accessing the network wirelessly. I think it would have been much better with either a wired connection, faster Mac or both.

Ultimately I deleted the program while trying to diagnose a recurring kernel panic that was affecting the main Mac. As it turns out the panics were not related to this program at all. I've never put it back on the system since I have a second monitor available now and don't really need the program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.