Software for Online Presentations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011
I am looking for some software to help create training material that can be made available online.

The material would combine slides (optimally powerpoint so pieces can be used for other presentations) and audio. The material would be accessed online, and play as a video file. Would be great if there was more functionality like the ability to see the list of slides with titles and move around in the presentation. The end results need to look and sound professional.

These would be available online for a fee, so would need something else that allows time-limited access (certain number of days) if the user has a unique password.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Seems like you would be limiting your sales to those on line with sufficient bandwidth. Why not burn onto CDs and mail out? Less drama in the deal where some buy on line and don't get to watch what they paid for.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm pretty sure you can save powerpoint presentations as swf files.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can save presentations from PowerPoint 2008 as movies (mov) and as web pages. I suggest that you work with PowerPoint to see what export format works best for your needs. The webpage format appears best for you as the user can move around the presentation as they see fit.

Reaction score
Check out Cisco's WebEx. I'm presently taking an online course using it and it has those features you need. The teacher can show us his desktop to show just about anything he wants to show on his computer. And students can participate via short text messages to respond to teacher questions and they can participate in polls.

No idea of the cost, but I'd expect it's not cheap.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air OS X 10.7 1.7 Intel Core i5 4GB, MacMini mid-2011
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I use WebEx for live presentations. The issue is that you cannot save a webinar as a file that people can access over the web. They can access old recorded webinards, but there is not robust enough security (just one password). Which means if someone purchases, they can forward the password to others to view. I need to be able to have unique passwords that expire after a certain time.

CDs would be doable, but seems very old school. Plus that allows them to copy and provide to others.

In this day and age, is bandwidth really an issue?

Saving pptx as a movie sounds interesting, will have to look to see how to incorporate and sync audio.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I use WebEx for live presentations. The issue is that you cannot save a webinar as a file that people can access over the web. They can access old recorded webinards, but there is not robust enough security (just one password). Which means if someone purchases, they can forward the password to others to view. I need to be able to have unique passwords that expire after a certain time.

CDs would be doable, but seems very old school. Plus that allows them to copy and provide to others.

In this day and age, is bandwidth really an issue?

Saving pptx as a movie sounds interesting, will have to look to see how to incorporate and sync audio.

I've used the saved webinar more than the live ones and it works well. Pausing and so forth is convenient. As far as security, if people want to access your content, they are going to figure a way to do it. I doubt if there is a totally secure method.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.