Boot camp won't create partition because "Some files cannot be moved"

Reaction score
Is there any solution other than formatting my entire mac? It has 360GB of stuff on it, it would take hours to back up and then put it all back on there. I've looked around and found others who seem to have found alternative solutions but they either don't say what that solution was or I didn't get it. I'm a bit of a Mac newbie, to be honest.

Can anyone help me? I really need Windows installed...

Thank you in advance!!!

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey, thank you. I had a look and it seems that a full Defrag is a good idea. I was able to do a quick one with iDefrag but that didn't work - but none of the other types of defrag are available because I apparently have to boot from a CD so that my disk is 'offline'.

I'm not sure which CD I'm supposed to boot from or how to do it. I have disc 1 and disc 2 of my original installation CDs - these are the only ones my machine came with. I tried to boot from CD1 but it seemed to want me to install the Mac OS all over again so I cancelled it.

Really don't know what to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm guessing what you are asking is how to get to the utilities menu from the disc.
You would boot from disc 1, select language and then click continue, and then you go into the utilities menu/disk utility in the menu bar.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for your help!

Is it pretty obvious where I go from there? I mean, are the options after that pretty clear?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm not to sure as I've never had to try it.
I too hear a lot of conflicting how to's and how not to's.
Before anything, you talk about how long it would take to back up, and restore everything in your OP, but I wouldn't go ahead doing anything without covering myself with a back up!
I think your best bet is the safe slow road, rather than risking all!!!
Even if someone could give you clear concise information on how to do what you want, I would not go there without a backup, regardless of how much they swear by it.
Any major changes that you make to your system you should always back up onto external drive first, ESPECIALLY if you are tinkering around with the hard drive!

I'm sure you can hear my repetitive message ringing in your ears...... BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP.......

OP
P
Reaction score
That's true... but again, with backups, I have a gazillion movie files and stuff that won't fit on DVDs and stuff, so I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to back up.

But yeah, I looked at the Disk Utility after booting from the install disk, and I still don't know what to do. I can't find iDefrag to do the Compact defrag, I'm not entirely sure how to boot from the disk or if I have done it... I'm just totally clueless!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Booting from the install disk, you wont be able to get into your OS to find iDefrag or anything on your HD.
This is why you want something like the following.

Onto an external HD........ you can get decent ones for around $70.
You really should have one.
Once you have this, you can make a bootable clone with Carbon Copy Cloner - Home or SuperDuper!

It's fairly fast to back up and restore, plus then if your hard drive fails you have a bootable backup.

If you get a firewire external HD, then if you have to work from the external drive, you are not faced with a slower system.

I found this which may help, but as I said before, not without a back up first.
Review: Drive defragmentation and optimization with iDefrag | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

OP
P
Reaction score
The iDefrag help is pretty rubbish... but after trawling through info on the net I found that it wants me to make a bootable disc with iDefrag on it, or something. It comes with a program to do it for you, so I'm now n the process of doing that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
To do a full defrag with iDefrag you must create their CD to boot from.

They have a CDMaker Tool just for this and available on their downloads page.

I have not done it, but have read that it takes a looooong time. Longer than any of the old windows defraggers that caused us to go hunting for 3rd party software.
I would suggest starting the defrag when you go to bed. Maybe it will be done in the morning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have iDefrag Lite, which came with iPartition. That did not require burning a CD and it does not seem to insist on booting from a different hard drive.

Of course, backing up with SuperDuper! - or even TimeMachine - is still a wise precaution first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.