MSN Messenger obsolete

S

snufkin

I am using OS9 and have been using MSN Messenger with no problems, but I signed in today and was told I had to download an update of the software (MSN 2,5) wich I did, but now I try to use MSN Messenger and it tells me I can't, only OS 9.2 and above can use it! Wich is a tad annoying, "download the software so we can stop you using it!".

So is there a way around this, or will I have to use other IM software (any suggestions welcome).

Thanks for any info, I'm new so apologies if any of this is obvious or stupid, I'm not that tech savvy either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
all i can say is good riddens to MSN!

nothing against you, but ive had nothing but problems when using MSN on a mac. as a matter of fact i always run into problems with it on a pc, but thats more of a pc in general problem :D

have you tried updating your computer to OS 9.2 under software updates? i cant remember if 9.1 > 9.2 was a free update. i remember there being restrictions on what machines could run OS 9.2 however.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
9.2 is free, but you will need the following:

First upgrade to 9.2.1 and then to 9.2.2.

Hopefully you are running 9.1.

OP
S

snufkin

Hmm, well I'm using OS 9.0, sounds like it will take a lot of udates just to get one measly bit of software to work, so I suppose I'll have to find another insatant messenger program. Thanks for the help chaps.

Any recommendations for IM software on 0S9?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am surprised you are still at 9.0. When 9.0.4 was more stable.

OP
S

snufkin

I suppose you're right, but I haven't had any major problems using my current OS so I've never thought of updating. Is updating OS a lot of hassle, will it cause any problems with other software? You guys are probably chocking on your ipods at my ignorance of these matters :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
snufkin said:
I suppose you're right, but I haven't had any major problems using my current OS so I've never thought of updating. Is updating OS a lot of hassle, will it cause any problems with other software? You guys are probably chocking on your ipods at my ignorance of these matters :)
If everything you want and care to do, can be don't on your current OS level. Then there is no real reason to change. Since I have been working on computers and administrator for many, many years. I tend to be on the leading (bleeding) edge, but that is not for everyone.

If it works for you, then all is well.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
hit me on AIM. I got a hacked version of MSN that wont tell you to update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Mac dude said:
hit me on AIM. I got a hacked version of MSN that wont tell you to update.
or nevermind...
EDIT: attach!!!
EDIT: please attach?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac dude said:
or nevermind...
EDIT: attach!!!
EDIT: please attach?
maybe if i make a new post...? if it dosn;t work just delete it...
EDIT: Grr... IM me..

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

Next best thing to MSN is AOL which is very good, a lot more stable than MSN at the cost of less features

OP
S

skeley69

Mac dude said:
maybe if i make a new post...? if it dosn;t work just delete it...
EDIT: Grr... IM me..

I'm having this problem too. I'm new to this forum so ive only just read this useful thread. Im using OS 9.1 and heard you can hack msn messenger 2.1 to look like 2.5.0 using ResEdit!! Can anyone help, giving clear instructions on how to do so. Thanks

OP
B

benlloyd

You sound like a technophobe

[

QUOTE=MacAddikt]all i can say is good riddens to MSN!

nothing against you, but ive had nothing but problems when using MSN on a mac. as a matter of fact i always run into problems with it on a pc, but thats more of a pc in general problem :D

have you tried updating your computer to OS 9.2 under software updates? i cant remember if 9.1 > 9.2 was a free update. i remember there being restrictions on what machines could run OS 9.2 however.[/QUOTE]

I have never had problems myself it must be you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.