iphoto vs not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
Im just about to fully switch over to mac. I use a LOT of photos in my work and use photoshop to collage them over layers etc. With the PC at the moment i just save them in directories on my hard disk. BUt im thinking of using iphoto when i port over shortly to mac.

IS iphoto good at handling large amounts of photos, and would i be able to drag and drop them into photoshop? i use iphoto at the moment on my ibook for holiday snaps and it isnt super snappy.

im i best using a similar system to what i was on the pc saving photos in directories or importing and saving into itunes?

any suggestions?

many thanks

:)
rivercottage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well it depends on which version of iPhoto you're using and the specs on your Mac. If you're using iPhoto 5 or even iPhoto 4 it should be pretty decent with a large amount of files.

You also can drag and drop into Photoshop which is what I do all the time. Also in the iPhoto 5 preferences (maybe earlier versions but I'm not sure) you can set which program you want to use to edit photos when you double click on them. You could use that to set it to Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
schweb said:
Also in the iPhoto 5 preferences (maybe earlier versions but I'm not sure) you can set which program you want to use to edit photos when you double click on them. You could use that to set it to Photoshop.

I am pretty sure that goes back to iPhoto 3 (could even be earlier)

It definitely is in 04

S

SogniX

I'm not comfortable using iPhoto for my graphics and other Photoshop stuff... creating a huge library in iPhoto just gives me the creeps. I only use it for my digital pictures.

I'll eventually get the Adobe CS2 suite (or at least Photoshop) with Adobe Bridge. That, combined with Spotlight on Tiger might make the control freak in me happy (well, at least as far as my graphic work goes). :)

E

EvoMac

I use iPhoto 5 to store and organize all my pictures. It imports perfectly and can easily export to photoshop for editing.

Reaction score
rivercottage said:
Im just about to fully switch over to mac. I use a LOT of photos in my work and use photoshop to collage them over layers etc. With the PC at the moment i just save them in directories on my hard disk. BUt im thinking of using iphoto when i port over shortly to mac.

IS iphoto good at handling large amounts of photos, and would i be able to drag and drop them into photoshop? i use iphoto at the moment on my ibook for holiday snaps and it isnt super snappy.

im i best using a similar system to what i was on the pc saving photos in directories or importing and saving into itunes?

any suggestions?

many thanks

rivercottage

iPhoto is kinda crappy in which it makes a copy of the picture your importing into its own folder.... that just annoys me

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
shaun89 said:
iPhoto is kinda crappy in which it makes a copy of the picture your importing into its own folder.... that just annoys me

Thanks for your replies :) Yeh it always annoys me on my ibook that it makes a copy, and then creates some thumnail files, and some original files, i dont like not knowing whats going on with my images, and saves them deep down.

Think i may just stick to using iphoto for normal holiday snaps and pics of people and events and the like, and just use a directory structure for my work images, and the spotlight funkyness.

thanks again

River COttage

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.