Making a copy of my original OS X 10.6 SL DVD

dsi

Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone tell me how I can make a copy of my original SL 10.6 DVD including the MAC OS and the Windows drivers?

I do alot of Video editing for work and i often need to re-install my MBP. I don't want to use my original MAC OS X SL DVD to do the installation in case i scratch it or damage it. Therefore, i decided to make a copy of it and storing my original one. However, i can only managed to copy out the MAC OS part from the original DVD and not the Windows' part like the bootcamp drivers. I made a disc image of the OS DVD and burn it to a DL DVD, then when i try to copy the Windows' part onto the disc, it says it's not a writable disc anymore. Does anyone know how I can make a copy of my original OS X disc with the MAC and the Windows portions on one single disc like my original one?

Thanks for all kinds of help in advance. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm not sure as to how to get it combined onto one disc, but you may want to use this.
Download Winclone for Mac - Clone your Boot Camp partition. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
Then you can use Carbon Copy Cloner - Home
You will have bootable external drive!
I would recommend just buying a spare copy of SL seeing that it is so cheap.
In saying that, I have no doubt that someone will come along with a solution for exactly what you want to do.

EDIT: I think this will actually give you the ability to burn the combined image onto disc, but I am only guessing!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would think a burning program like Toast would make a copy of the whole thing but I have not personally tried it with Snow Leopard. I know the Windows part is a different partition and format.

OP
D

dsi

Reaction score
Thanks for those who replied. I just tried the methods mentioned above, but no luck. It copied the MAC portion only. I must be doing something wrong. My co-worker had somehow made a copy of it with both portions without remembering how to do it... so i know it's possible, just don't know how... I guess i have to take my original one out to work until someone figure this out. :|

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anyone has any ideas? :Confused:

You are trying to make the copy using double layer media, right? There is no reason that the Mac SL part of the DVD has been mastered differently from the Windows drivers section. You can not exactly copy an OS X DVD whether it be Leopard or Snow Leopard without using double layer media.

If you are using double layer media and still can't do it, then I'm stumped also.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you use Toast Titanium to copy DL discs, simply a matter of popping the disc in, open Toast, and select 'Copy" and away she goes subject to having a DL burner and DL discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You mentioned you made a copy of the OSX portion - but how exactly did you do that?

Did you try using Disk Utilities to make a copy? Perhaps to make a .img then attempt to burn that .img file (or better yet, use disk utility to create a bootable thumb drive with OSX on it so you can just use it to install (assuming an intel Mac target).

If you want to try to make a copy, and if you didn't try this already check out:

How to make a DVD copy backup of MAC OS X | fosk.it! 2.0

If you want to make a OSX install thumb drive, it's fairly straight forward from disk utility as long as your thumbdrive is at least as big (if not bigger) then the OSX disc. Just insert the thumb drive you don't mind wiping, in disk utility with one of the disks selected, choose the restore option - drag the OSX dvd to the source, and the thumb drive to the destination then select restore.

After you've either made the DVD (with a dual layer disc of course ;) ) or the thumb drive, try booting into windows and see if you can find the drivers.

The other thing you could do - since windows will only see the windows portion, and OSX will normally only see the OSX partition, you could create one image that is just the OSX, and in windows create an image that's just the bootcamp drivers and see if that works for you...

Just a thought.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I haven't tried it with the Snow Leopard disc but that should work. If the process fails try using a different brand of media. I have had problems before where some brands burn more reliably than others. Different people seem to have problems with different brands. I've all but given up using the cheap generic DL discs due to failed burns.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nethfel & Slydude, I tried it here to help the OP. I used Toast first to make the copy of the DVD and burn the DL DVD. No Windows partition. Then I tried the Disk Utility Image method using DVD/CD Master like suggested on the sites and still when burned to the DL DVD, no Windows files/partition. I checked the 10.6 DVD and there are two partitions, one in Apple format and the other in FAT32 I believe with the Windows Bootcamp drivers and auto loader. So after 2 DL DVD's (They are not cheap) I gave up and second Nethfel's method of making a separate image on Windows and the resulting DVD/CD. That would work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One quick question Dennis. Depending on your version of Toast, did you select the option for both Mac and PC burning before hitting the Copy button, as the default is usually for Mac only?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One quick question Dennis. Depending on your version of Toast, did you select the option for both Mac and PC burning before hitting the Copy button, as the default is usually for Mac only?

In the Copy options with my version I did not see those options or I would have checked mac and pc. I will check again though but if I remember correctly those options only show up for making a new Data CD/DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
If you've got Toast 10 I believe Disc Image Merge is the option that you're looking for:

20100120-85qfpck5rym3is22qxq569gawu.jpg

If that doesn't work try burning in sessions. First burn the SL backup and then the Bootcamp drivers. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that and especially the screen shot. I have a much older Toast which works fine but missing that option. Guess it's time to upgrade!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which version of Toast? Someone might be able to scare up a screenshot or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Mini's (1.83(2GB ram/320GB HDD & 2.26 GHz 2GB ram/160GB HDD))
Not trying to be a party pooper, but at this point wouldn't just be easier to go buy another copy of SL? It only runs like $30?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.