Botched Bootcamp

Reaction score
I was a little too exuberant, didn't do my homework, and for sure screwed up installing Windows XP with Bootcamp.

Somehow, I managed to make it so that it always boots Windows, rather than OSX. I tried going to Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery but the only OS it lists in Startup is Windows.

Have I screwed up irrevocably? Is there any going back? I backed up all my files and still have my Mac OS disk.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You did print out and read the BootCamp Guide prior to playing with partitions and installing another OS onto your system, right???

Here is a copy of it. Check pages 15 & 16.

I would strongly encourage you to take the time to read it now.
Take 15 minutes and save yourself another few hours.

OP
P
Reaction score
No, I didn't. I'm fully aware that that was probably the stupidest thing I've probably ever done.

Basically what I did was

1. Ran bootcamp, and set the partition to 5 Gigs
2. Put the CD in
3. Installed Windows

That's pretty much it. Does anyone have any ideas? Would taking it to a Genius be helpful?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As bobtomay said, you really need to read the instructions. This is covered there, as are many other topics.

There's nothing wrong. Boot Camp sets the Windows partition as the default startup disk during the installation process. To change the default startup disk (assuming you've installed the Boot Camp software for Windows, incidentally also covered in the instructions), go into Control Panel => Boot Camp.

Alternatively, shut the machine down. Press and hold the Option key immediately after you turn it on. Select the Macintosh HD drive to startup. Open System Preferences => Startup Disk and choose Mac OS X as your default startup drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for helping out such a noob! I really didn't do the homework I needed to do, but you've all helped a ton.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.