Powermac intermittently 'doesn't see' USB devices.

S

spong

Hi,

I have a Powermac G5 (the tower one) that has an annoying habit of not seeing USB devices that I plug in.

For example, this morning I was updating my shuffle, and forgot to remove the old songs. So after I ejected it, I plugged it back into the USB port (the one on the front of the computer, not the keyboard), but it doesn't see it now.

This also happens with pendrives and cameras - sometimes it sees them, sometimes not. The system profiler can see and correctly identify the device, but it doesn't appear on the desktop, or in the case of the Ipod, Itunes.

Normally a restart solves it, but that's obviously a major pain.

Any idea 1) Why this happens, and 2) When it does happen, how I get the system to recognise and (mount?) make the device available?

Thanks for your help!

[edit] Sorry, forgot to say. single G5 1.8, 1.25gb RAM, OSX 10.3.8. Everything pretty much standard otherwise, as far as I remember. Itunes version 4.71 (30)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.