Wipe my mac problems / questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminium MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM, OS X 10.6.2
Greetings

I am 15" MacBook Pro (older model) running OSX 10.6.2

I would like to do a complete wipe of my osx and do a complete reinstall of Snow Leopard. My MacBook came with Tiger pre-installed (I think, i was then a mac newbie, still kinda am I guess, three years now). When I bought it it came with 2 grey CD's ( Mac osx install disk 1 & 2 which are osx 10.4.10) and also an OSX Leopard CD version 10.5. I was told to insert the new leopard cd and let it do the upgrade, no problems there. When Snow-Leopard came out I installed that no problem off the CD (family-pack CD).

Firstly, i would like to do a complete reinstall to start the MacBook as if it was (nearly) fresh from the factory. I am confused as too which CD i would start with???

Secondly, (the nearly part) I have a lot of pictures using iPhoto and movies using iMovie. Also a few programs that I have but no longer have the .dmg.

Can I just drag the iphoto package and library onto my external hard drive and then drag them back into place after the OSX reset??? The same with the other applications???

I have also looked at the migration assistant in utilities and the only option that would apply to my case would be to do a time machine back-up. Reinstall the OS and then use the time machine to reinstall my applications and documents. I do not understand this because it would then make my MacBook the same as now and defeat the purpose of doing my intended reset.

I have researched this to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You can do the fresh install by just booting from the snow leopard disc. Choose language, continue, go to utilities in menu bar, disk utilities, erase disk tab ( select second in left column), partition as mac os extended journalled and then click erase.
Quit utilities and continue with install.
You can drag over the photo library, and movies, but as for the applications, they are not just drag and drop, so you will need to reinstall, or find all the supporting files, etc, needed to run the applications, which are scattered in user and HD library.
(I did this once, and it took a lot of trial and error before I had them up and running as they should).
When I upgraded to snow leopard, I went for the fresh install of iLife from the disc, as the manual method was just to see if it was possible.
As for the other apps, it depends on the applications, as not all application are drag and drop.
Also, in saying that, as you do want a clean fresh system, when starting from scratch, you are best off reinstalling from discs, or downloading fresh copies wherever drag and drop is not possible.
Before and after you install, be sure to back up your system!!!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cool, thank you for your prompt reply 6string.

Am i going to get .plist errors in reference to the iphoto /imovie library?
How would I know if an app is or is not drag and drop?

thanks again, i feel a bit more confident now! Scary business this formatting a drive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Apps that have installers such as word, etc, and apps that require install discs like ilife and iwork.
Other than that, it is trial and error when it comes to generalizing with just moving from extrenal to internal drive.
Apple apps are not just drag and drop, whereas 3rd party apps that are just quick drag and drop into application folder after download, are just that.
If you try to drag and drop iphoto/imovie, you will encountered problems when trying to open messages, and the .plist messages, etc..... until you find all the files required scattered all over the drive, this is why you are best off after your clean install, installing ilife from the disc.
The library and movies though, you will have no problem dragging and dropping after you reinstall ilife from the disc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All the info is much appreciated 6string. Thanks again. Gonna give it a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be prepared to again install Microsoft Office and Adobe applications as they do not transfer too well. You can use your key code from the jewel case of Office again, using the same code and Microsoft will simply allocate a new User ID.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry guys, one thing:

I read that it was bad to do mac os extended journalled. Meaning the journalled part. To do just mac os extended instead. Any opinions on this??? What is the journalled? Does it take up extra space and slow the os down??? Thanks again, last question I promise.

sorry cancel that found my answer, see below

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.